Home | About | Donate

Don't Lie to Poor Kids About Why They're Poor

Don't Lie to Poor Kids About Why They're Poor

Josh Hoxie

Work hard and you’ll get ahead — that’s the mantra driven into young people across the country.

But what happens when children born into poverty run face first into the crushing reality that the society they live in really isn’t that fair at all?

"The United States leads the world in overall wealth yet is also near the top in childhood poverty, with one in five kids born into poverty."

As new research shows, they break down.

“In short, we need Major Investments in Universal Public Programs”

Sorry, nothing left over, for anything else, from the Bomb/Jets Budget

And what’s this about the Govt intentionally creating a Permanent Underclass?

also

“Half a Trillion…in Tax Subsidies to the Rich”?

Well, they Work Harder! :laughing::grinning::grin:

and Create Jobs! :grin::smiley::laughing::grin:

And I just had a go around with a commenter here whose solution to income inequality was to lower the minimum wage. Because only poor people can make too much money.

it takes a special kind of douchenozzle to argue that. The depth of poor-hatred in this country is astonishing.

The economic rewards or not are merely the result of “The Club.” George Carlin’s famous quip, “They’ve got a club and you’r not in it” is really at the core of this understanding. Those in the club view those not in “the club” as inferior, dirty, less than, not worthy of consideration much less talking to as equals. That means not-in-the-clubs are a nuisance regarding the basic of fair pay for their contribution. Regardless of actual work and labor output. Those in the club own wealth and control the distribution (the taking) of money. Those of us in the peasant class are always seen as a bother to put up with so the rich don’t have to take out the garbage.

I met young man at a party who insisted that the poor are poor because they are lazy. No presentment of facts could shake his faith that every poor person in this country is lazy, including newborn children apparently. I guess we all need rationalizations for our moral lacks. For this guy there was no need to wrestle with his conscience about his hatred of the poor. He shielded himself from his compassionless void by making the poor his enemies, worthless slugs endlessly trying to take from him what was rightfully his. There’s a sign in front of a neighbor’s house that reads “Reward Responsibility Not Irresponsibility – Vote Republican”. This is a republican mantra, the soul-salving lie to ease the guilty conscience (or, more likely, the lack of any conscience whatsoever). There’s a special place in hell for republicans.

From the prophet Amos:

They sell the innocent for silver, and the needy for a pair of sandals. They trample on the heads of the poor as on the dust of the ground and deny justice to the oppressed…I hate, I despise your religious festivals; your assemblies are a stench to me. Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them. Though you bring choice fellowship offerings, I will have no regard for them. Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps.
But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!

Hate to tell you, but the D-party espouses meritocracy and its concomitant embrace of an aristocracy too:

Sorry, I wasn’t clear in my definition of “republican”. It includes anyone who pretends to not be a republican, many of whom inhabit the democratic party. You do not have to be officially in the republican party to be a republican (like DINO’s, eg.). I’m old enough to remember when the D party actually represented working people and the poor. Those times are dead. In fact, now we have two wings of the republican party, with a smattering of progressives in the vestigial D party.

Will the poor always exist?

Given current trends, we should eliminate extreme poverty by 2030.

Income inequality will be addressed, by that time, in progressive countries.

The “end of the club.”

Hearing you now loud and clear.

In an inherently unjust system that is inherently unjustifiable

“Fairness” is a fool’s errand.

Ah, “should” – the “S Word.” It could be done but opinions differ on whether it “should.” The World would be a lot easier place to get along in if that goal could be bought into by everybody.

Well said.

Great article and great comments.

Hatred of the poor here in the United States has always been prevalent, and quite high, to boot. Yet, it has also taken on a racial as well as a class/ethnicity/religious edge, which has made the hatred of the poor here in the United States even more intense, if one gets the drift.

There is a big change from grade 6 to 8. Even bigger grade 4 to 10. Awareness of social distinctions is major, not everyone can afford those cool things on TV or live in a home with a living room, or with a roof overhead. Some 3.5 million children live in families with less than $2 a day, says the book $2 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America. BLS stats show Labor participation rate, all ages white male 66.5%, black male 60.7%. Maybe a look at children born to single mothers is a better indicator, 70.1% for black women, 35.8% for white, 29% for Hispanic origin, (cdc.gov, Jan 2017). Also gangs and participation in gang life increases with age, as does violence. We used to have city recreation departments with activities for after school youth. Now we are too poor? Mean Average household income is over $100,000 a year, we are too poor. Median is $56,617. Maybe 28% live in households with income of 140% of poverty – not enough to afford some necessities. Forty percent of households with incomes below $40,000 report not going to a doctor in past year because of unaffordable expense (a report from the Fed, FRB, Household Well-Being in 2015).

Google “extreme poverty.” Check out the UN projections.

I read the exchange, you did a good job Skeptic Tank.

Thanks, Howler. I value your views.