Home | About | Donate

Downplaying Deportations: How Textbooks Hide the Mass Expulsion of Mexican Americans During the Great Depression

Downplaying Deportations: How Textbooks Hide the Mass Expulsion of Mexican Americans During the Great Depression

Ursula Wolfe-Rocca

The Trump Administration’s horrifying record on immigration, exemplified by the heartbreaking scenes of family separation during the summer of 2018, sparked a new round of discussion and debate about U.S. deportation policy. Of course, deportations are nothing new; Obama was rightly criticized as the Deporter-in-Chief. But with enthusiastic cruelty and vigor, the Trump administration has embraced deportation, including the targeting of long-term residents with no criminal record.

If MS. Wolfe-Rocca wants her students to know the whole truth about Mexican American expulsion, she would also include how marijuana was made illegal and demonized to justify the deportations and degrade the character of these hard working people in the eyes of whites in this country. She might know this, but fails to include it into the story because of our failed War on Drugs, but in doing so cheats her students the full story.

1 Like

It’s nice to see that at least some K-12 students have some people providing this sort of insight, despite the alarming waves of supposed “reform” in recent decades.

1 Like

I first read about this from Howard Zinn and this book" THE People’s History of the United States." Read this and learn real American history. : )

1 Like

History doesn’t repeat

It reloads

1 Like

I’ll admit that’s a piece of history that I missed, and I’m a lifelong Californian! Obviously none of the schools I passed through ever bothered to mention it–And that was before the “relocation” of the Japanese-Americans!
–One thing I do know about is the “bracero” program–Early in WWII, in l942, the West Coast was pretty lightly populated compared to the East, large numbers of agricultural workers were needed, and guess what? They opened the border with Mexico, every year until 1964–All this goes to show how the national needs as defined by big agriculture and corporations determine who’s in and who’s out–Accompanying that, of course, demonizing propaganda to keep them out, or “national need” to let them in!