Home | About | Donate

Dozens Arrested After Protesters Block ICE Office in Bid to Halt Couple's Deportation

Dozens Arrested After Protesters Block ICE Office in Bid to Halt Couple's Deportation

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Dozens of people were arrested Monday morning for blocking the federal building housing the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) office in Hartford, Connecticut to denounce the deportation of a couple that's lived in the U.S. for over twenty years.

Meriden couple Giaconda and Franklin Ramos, who came to the U.S. from Ecuador in 1993 and have no criminal record, are scheduled to board a flight back to their home country on Sept. 29.

It’s disgusting that a couple from Ecuador who’ve been here legally for over 20 years and have no criminal are being deported…for nothing.

It’s good to see, however, that people are protesting against this disgusting event in a very, very smart way, by blocking the Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) Office.

In 10 years, the boys will no doubt sponsor their parents to come back. What a waste…

Immigration is a broken system in the US, while this family has been successful many are not. One fourth of all undocumented immigrants live in my state. One in ten workers is undocumented. I can see how creating pathways to citizenship solve many of the problems but we need a better way. This makes no sense at all, I can see why Dreamers feel betrayed.