Home | About | Donate

Dozens Arrested as Survivors Flood Capitol Hill to Share Trauma of Sexual Assault, Demand Senate Reject Kavanaugh

Dozens Arrested as Survivors Flood Capitol Hill to Share Trauma of Sexual Assault, Demand Senate Reject Kavanaugh

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Ahead of a 1pm national walkout on Monday to support Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and Deborah Ramirez—who have accused U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault—and demand that lawmakers oppose him, hundreds of critics flooded Capitol Hill to target specific senators such as Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), whose responses to the women's claims have outraged advocates for survivors of sexual violence.

3 Likes

In my mind, there’s little doubt that conformation hearings need to end, and impeachment hearings need to begin for Kavanaugh.

13 Likes

Yes indeed…move to recall and impeach Kav.

In view of Collins’ voting record it is at best folly to believe that there is a snowball’s chance in hell that she will lay down her GOP tribal drum and vote against Kav. When will we stop lending credence to the media’s good cop / bad cop theatrics ?

9 Likes

Bah! CD really has to do a better job with their headlines. I was expecting to read that they had arrested Brett and his Senate cohorts!

4 Likes

And a host of others!
;-})

7 Likes

And where are the protests because of his record during the Clinton and Bush years, along with his judicial rulings?

5 Likes

They will let you in the Senator’s offices if you are a corporate lobbyist or you bring a large sum of cash with you. These senators do not represent citizens anymore. Flake says one thing and votes with trump most of the time. Collins cares even less about her constituents. Disgusting pigs foul public offices everywhere at the top. I bet it smells like the compromised pig farms in NC.

6 Likes

THIS!!!

…is how it’s done. Bravo people.

6 Likes

As Justice Brandeis said, “sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants”, to which I suggest we put a magnifying glass over Kavanaugh to be sure and complete the job.

5 Likes

Apparently, most of those records are still being withheld on a dubious claim of “executive privilege.” Even so, there is already sufficient evidence of his serial perjury to warrant his removal from the bench—should anybody care to go down that road.

7 Likes

There is a simple truth that hurts to say. We are in the midst of a fascist takeover of all branches of government. Hell or high water, the corrupt donors that run this country are pulling the strings and telling puppet republicans to vote Kavanaugh in. It is truly frightening to see what is going on; we have passed any and all constitutional norms. Moving forward, democrates need to take legislative power and impeach Trump, Pence, Kavanaugh, Gorch and the Chief Justice. Roberts is up to his neck in corruption and you can bet your last dollar, he is working hand-in-glove with the powers-to-be to turn this government over to an oligarchy. We have hit the danger zone and this is serious.

10 Likes

This situation has an experimental aroma - as if the PTB are trying to see how extreme rape culture has to get before women and men who respect women get seriously pissed. Every last aspect is over the top. If it were a script, it would be tossed as too implausible.

It wasn’t enough of an indignity to see the crudest sexual thuggery elevated to the White House. I know, let’s try to send a Yale gang-rapist to the supreme court. Maybe that’ll be enough (with a heaping helping of misogynistic sanctimony from Orrin Hatch).

There eventually comes a point in the life of some adults, and adolescents too, for that matter, where dignity is more precious than life itself - worth dying for.

5 Likes

Yes. A constitutional crisis is looming. Fascists in the process of seizing the judiciary…

3 Likes

Nuthin’ is quite like the feeling ya get seein’ democracy actually at work, yes, this is how it’s done.

On the contrary, there are many, many examples of statements where Kavanaugh has directly perjured himself on. Read the current comments from former Senator Russ Feingold who questioned Kavanaugh during his confirmation as an appeals court judge and has direct evidence of his outright lies. That is why Kavanaugh should be impeached right now and only one reason why he should be rejected for the Supreme Court.

6 Likes

Many people, even media professionals, condescend to sound off on the latest New Yorker article (the one about Deborah Ramirez), without having troubled themselves to read it.

Some have questioned why the New York Times chose to pass on this story. Answer: they don’t have reporters of Farrow and Mayer’s caliber at the New York Times anymore. Relevant points from their impeccable, standard-setting reporting:

Neither Ramirez nor the reporters claim “proof” (after all, none of them are mathematicians). Journalistically, the reporters have quite rich corroboration from several independent sources. That should be enough to run with, if there’s a pretense of a free press anymore.

Ramirez is representing her recollection as probable cause that Kavanaugh engaged in a sexual assault the FBI should look into. I think the I in FBI stands for Investigation.

4 Likes

Did you read the article?
“Significant factual error and/or obvious contradictions”
Plus it does not even mention some of the more egregious lies but concentrates mostly on matters of opinion.
But what would you expect from Jeff Bezos?

2 Likes

Hi hawkeye," innocent until proven guilty-"—yes, I believe in that that ----BUT it seems that as soon as Ms Ford spoke, she was immediately deemed not believable---- or mistaken or confused! Yes, in America it’s often true, that woman is GUILTY by reason of XX chromosomes! : ) Are you an XY? : )

1 Like

Hi Hawkeye— Re: your desire for pictures
Well most sexual attacks , at least in the 1980’s didn’t come with pictures—of course nowadays iCloud accounts are hacked for nude shots-----
RE. witness:
Dr. Ford has one witness in the room, but sadly Mark Judge’s own writings have shown him to be not a very good drinker and black outs don’t conjure up any semblance of veracity Besides he denies everything.

Yes, and you are right any person may claim anything------ and sadly Mr. Kavanaugh is claiming that he dd not say nor think things that people know that he has done and said, . This is of course, past judicial work In fact apparently less than 10% of his prior judicial writings have been looked at by the Grassley, " plow on through" committee : ) Other potential judges have had everything looked at–so why so lightweight on the inquiries here?

Re: a family being destroyed… well that would immediately be Ms Fords family as they had to leave their home due to death threats etc. I just read an article where Mr.Kavanaugh spoke of death threats-----oh besides this, I have heard nothing more----do you have a link perhaps?

Another issue is that Ms Ford did alert her rep, who sent the letter to Feinstein, back in July— as she wanted the FBI to look into it, and not involve herself if possible-----that did not happen------and so we are left with one woman–whoops now 2, oh wait, is that 3 or 4. more .???.and I don’t believe that their experiences are unique to those in positions of power—it appears that the women employed with Mr, Kavanaugh needed to be exceptional looking a la model types. One would hope Mr. Kavanaugh would be more excited about the law----although , "eye candy, " does give a certain prestige in certain male groups. : )

And finally–YES, I agree, elections have consequences—because after that happened to Anita Hill, women surely know how tough it is to be believed---------and sadly too, the “electronic lynching,” which Clarence Thomas said applied to him-----actually applied to Anita Hill as she was hung out to twist and blow in the wind and in the midst of all those news cameras too.

2 Likes

Give NC pigs a bad name?

1 Like