Home | About | Donate

Dreaded 'Nightmare Bacteria' Resistant to All Antibiotics Is Finally Here

Dreaded 'Nightmare Bacteria' Resistant to All Antibiotics Is Finally Here

Nika Knight, staff writer

A so-called superbug immune to all antibiotics was discovered for the first time in a person in the U.S., reports a study published Thursday in the journal Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.

The discovery "heralds the emergence of a truly pan-drug resistant bacteria," the study's authors warned.

"I've cared for patients for whom there are no drugs left. It is a feeling of such horror and helplessness."
—Thomas Frieden, CDC

Antibiotics were touted as the “miracle” drug and indeed if
used for what they were created—as critical and/or life saving medicines--and
not used for every sniffle and cough we would not be in the predicament we find
ourselves in today. Was it
ignorance, profit-driven greed, I don’t know, perhaps a bit of both.

Antibiotics kill, destroy, fight bacteria—beneficial as well
as harmful ones and in life threatening situations they are indispensible, but
instead of trying to work with our bodies to create an environment where
bacteria would not take hold, building an immunity, a non-susceptibility to harmful
bacteria we instead opted (and still opt) for the “miracle” destroyer of all
bacteria in ALL cases inevitably rendering us incapable of resisting them. What
a mess. So now what? Another antibiotic? I really don’t get it.

Humanity is the disease of planet Earth, and Mother Nature is working hard to find the cure for us. Perhaps she finally has. We certainly have done nothing collectively to deserve to continue on.

Horror is right. But just like Exxon, who knew it was wrong to keep drilling, these corporations have known for a long time that the over use of antibiotics in farm animals was causing superbugs but it still hasn't stopped.
Greed is one of the seven deadly sins and corporations will kill this planet with their greed.

Perhaps we should compare the advertising budgets of Big-pharma to their Antibiotics R&D budgets. I bet we'll see an interesting correlation as to why this has happened.

Their vast treasuries are mostly spent on creating drugs to treat baldness, erections, and the merest reformulations of existing drugs to treat ongoing conditions, which can be repatented. There's probably a budget line for bribing the FDA.

It would be nice to think that these companies are actually motivated to create life-saving drugs to battle numerous medical threats, especially after all the subsidies they get, but alas, they are corporations whose one motivator is to increase profits quarter to quarter.

Well said Dede.

Not even a mention of the use of drugs in raising food animals. for which the great majority of antibiotics are actually used in the US? Even though it now appears that its ability to foster faster growth is negligible? This is an example of the clinically insane degree to which corporate profit trumps any other consideration including human survival. Both the continued use of antibiotics in agriculture and this article's refusing to even mention it.

With post ACA drug company mergers creating too-big-to-fail drug companies, when the market for antibiotics dries up US taxpayers will be required spend trillions bailing them out.

Really? "...their extensive use in food livestock have been blamed for contributing to the crisis."

Welcome to the 15th century.

we might say that the overuse of antibiotics--i know of people who keep a back-stock in case a family member runs a fever they just pop a pill--has created this nightmare bacteria. because no antibiotic can claim a hundred percent kill rate some live to reproduce creating in their image antibiotic resistant offspring. it's the law of survival of the fittest! on the other hand the person who does not allow his natural immune system to kick in before popping a pill grows more vulnerable.

Well said. And capitalism is the metastatic cancer that has spread that deadly trait until it (looks like it) is out of control.

No doubt Ted Cruz, et al., are busy drafting a letter to Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, accusing the editors of "silencing debate" and insisting that they back off.

who said anything about not using antibiotics? just because i personally have not used them in over thirty-five years does not mean i think them useless. read what i wrote.

We all suffer from this practice along with the mindless meat-eaters and their hapless victims.

I'm so sorry that our various Congresses and our Presidents chose to visit this nightmare upon the American public. The money was just too good.

In related matters, hospitals aren't really designed to minimize the spread of superbugs. It's all about the money.

Now for the good news: the English developed a gene granting them partial immunity to the Black Plague, and humanity will do this again. It's just going to take a vast number of generations.

i couldn't agree more.

One issue not touched on here is that throughout Aisa, in which live close to 3 billion people, antibiotics are available over the counter without prescription and have been used recklessly and needlessly for the last 50-60 years. It is not just animal husbandry and "Big Pharma" who are to blame.

To this one can add that western hospitals are run by business managers who see the most important person in the hospital, the cleaner, as a low-status low-paid contractor on whom they can save money. Nurses are equally to blame. They now see "cleaning" as beneath them and want status-enhancing university degrees instead so thay they can hand down the dirty jobs of nursing to poorly trained nurse aids. And if this offends any nurses who read this; sorry, I know that the truth hurts. The most important feature of any hospital is its cleanliness and that should be under the control of well-paid nursing professionals who also do that job, as nurses once used to do.

The surgeon's job was all in vain; that bit of dirt has struck again.

Please. I have lived and worked with people "living in harmony with nature". I have seen their medical problems. Living in hamony with nature just ain't all it is cracked up to be by armchair theorists. When septicaemia sets in from assorted types of even minor injury, those living in harmony with nature don't object to having their inner ecosystem saved by modern technology built by evil capitalists.

Thanks; cheers.

Laurie Garrett in her 1995 book "The Coming Plague" wrote that treating with antibiotics selects for bacteria resistant to the antibiotic in use because bacteria trade genes. Bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus are always resistant to colistin. That fact is used to aid in isolating and identifying them. Bacteria, such as E. coli are sensitive to colistin until one isolates a strain that is resistant, as in this case. In fact, in bacterial identification one learns to never say always but to always provide a probability of never higher than 99% or less than 1%. But then there are usually antibiotics to which the organism is sensitive but which are not approved for treatment of that organism. So far there have primarily only been strains of tuberculosis which are resistant to all antibiotics. There have been non-enterobacteriacea that are resistant to all antibiotics, but no members of the enterobacteriacea resistant to all antibiotics. I do not believe that this means the end of usefulness of antibiotics. That's hyperbole.