Home | About | Donate

Droughts, Snowstorms, Heatwaves: NOAA Ties Much Extreme Weather in 2014 to Climate Change

Droughts, Snowstorms, Heatwaves: NOAA Ties Much Extreme Weather in 2014 to Climate Change

Sarah Lazare, staff writer

Deadly cyclones in the Pacific. Deluges in Europe. Heat waves in numerous regions of the world. According to a far-reaching study released Thursday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), many of the specific extreme weather events that defined 2014 were "influenced" by human-made events, particularly climate change.

It's true. I'm getting a 100-year flood every two years or so here in the Philippines. Now we are staring at drought before we get flooded again. The smoke just finally cleared from all of Borneo and Sumutra on fire next door. El Nino has meteorologists here concerned that our damns will go dry again causing massive blackouts like last year.

I lived and worked here for decades and never saw one-inch-an-hour rains for eight days in a row! We even got 50 inches in 48 hours in one spot in the mountains. Hundreds of thousands each year are getting displaced when high tide and low atmospheric pressure coincide (typhoon = hurricane.) We are now at the world record for big storms with 18 Category Four and Cat Five Typhoons in one year! By shear luck most of them missed populated areas or turned toward Taiwan.

I'm building a great wall of China around my house since I live next to a river that can't handle all this moisture since the North Pole melted. I'm more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.....

TJ - Pacific Castway - out

Thank you for that vivid description of your situation.... we need more of that.