Home | About | Donate

Earth's Carbon Concentrations Have Soared to Levels Not Seen for 800,000 Years

Why don’t we see you and other corporate Dems sounding the alarm on climate change? Instead, you point fingers at Trump and fact-free Republicans, but in the face of an existential threat to all of us, you’re lackadaisical about it. Our house is on fire, but you’re not bothering to call the fire department.

How much pollution is caused by three additional people being born every second on the planet?

Here is the address to the fire department.

Sorry, that’s the Fire Marshal, not the Fire Department. The house is already on fire.

Something like climate change requires sustained attention to regions beyond that of oneś habitat because it is a single, interactive set of often non-linear dynamics that have uncounted tipping points into exponential changes. Its ecological, social, politial, cosmic, geological and pretty much involves many things you are likely to encounter on any given day

Heres a retrospective take:
Losing Earth: The Decade We
Almost Stopped Climate Change

Heres a good source for some introductory scanning

In other news: Environmental stories from around the web, August 8, 2018

Sounds like you don’t read newspapers, or something. Just because you claim to be a progressive doesn’t mean you are entitled to ignore all the alarms that establishment Democrats have issued and actions they have taken. Here are some names to help jog your memory, Al Gore, John Kerry, Barack Obama, Sheldon Whitehouse, Ed Markey. Why do you keep repeating the same bogus stuff about establishment Democrats not doing anything about climate change. It’s bad enough Trump is spreading misinformation. Why join in. I have been working on the climate change issue for over 20 years with the Sierra Club and other organizations. Anybody should see the Republicans are a far bigger problem than the Democrats on this issue.Other than the climate deniers only people calling themselves progressives cannot bring themselves to acknowledge the truth on this.

Fossil fuels can be replaced and the population can be controlled. The problem seems to be the will to do it or maybe more precisely to have done it. Time is the critical factor now. It will be interesting to see how the hurricane season effects the east coast this year.

Oh, I don’t know. Maybe it’s because people like Hillary supported fracking. And the fact that Dems don’t seem willing to bring government to a halt to solve the problem. Or the fact that 40 Dem Senators just voted to support the ridiculously large defense budget without doing anything about the Pentagon’s carbon foot print. I could go on, but it’s Friday evening and I think I’ve made my point.

PS You’re right I don’t read newspapers and thereby kill trees, but I do read what they post on news feeds online.

PPS I dedicated the last 20 years or so of my career to advancing clean energy, so don’t lecture me about what you’ve been doing.

No surprise info. in this article. BUT the comment section is very depressing!

I will admit that I don’t know what a helpful response to the facts related to AGW would be but I do believe blaming isn’t going to help at this point in time.

Ok . . . no kids. Ok . . f— me, shame on me or you or your parents for having kids!!

It’s the boomer’s fault.
It’s Trump’s fault.
It’s the oligarchy. It’s capitalism. It’s agriculture.

Now what?

Not many productive, helpful comments here.

I guess I’m interested in how people are feeling about this and beyond that . . how to live with the facts and even beyond that . . .what to do?

(for the record, knowing what I now know, I would NOT bring a child into this world)

Hey fellow “progressives”: how about compassion, empathy during this catastrophic, human induced predicament---- as in, the worst ever. Like an asteroid coming at us----- getting closer each day.

If people want to make a suggestion for how to make this human induced collapse of the biosphere more bearable please keep it in a contributing not contaminating manner.

As an aside (kind of), good article in counterpunch today:
https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/08/03/the-end-of-the-line-a-climate-in-crisis/

What’s happening now with CO2 emissions and concentrations reaching 2.2ppm per year and a concentration exceeding 405 ppm now is a trend I projected in Part 2, Table 2 of a 4 Part Study in 2014 - concerning how the transition to Renewable Energy is going too slowly to avoid a planet catastrophe. (see: San Diego Free Press: 4 Part Study by Frank Thomas and John Lawrence).

I’m afraid we are heading irreversably to at least a 480-490ppm CO2 concentration by 2050 assuming a constant 2.2ppm iaverage increase per year from now to 2050. This is the ominous reality if China cannot rapidly get off its horrendous 65-70% dependence on dirty coal; same applies for India whose annual gigatons of C02 emissions are far,below those of China, but picking up a steam. These two nations constitute 2.8 billion people of which at least 2 billion are at an average standard of living and consumption pattern an average citizen of our country was in perhaps 100 years ago. That and other forces (e.g., and multiple positive feedbacks) spell very troubling environmental prospects for all mankind to avoid a 4-5 degree Celsius temperature increase by 2050.

About all I can say is God help our children’s children and their children!!

And at the same time he is applying to the Irish government to allow a sea wall to protect his golf course from rising seas.

Livestock emissions make up anywhere between 14.5 and 18 percent of total global greenhouse gas emissions. Comparably, the transportation sector is responsible for around 14 percent of emissions. By those numbers alone, our current system of meat production is extremely damaging. Perhaps more looming, however, is that while transportation creates CO2, livestock farming is hugely responsible for producing methane. As you may know, methane is [23 times more potent]when it comes to warming the planet.

…ssooooo you are promoting geoengineering?..

Nobody has to promote it they have been doing it for many decades.

Here is a site that may make more sense

I find it simply amazing how we continuously see articles like this pushed by organizations who claim to be “climate science and energy minded” yet, STILL Common Dreams has failed to produce one single story over the last 7 months about how the loss of nuclear will greatly increase CO2 emissions as the majority of generation from decommissioned nuclear will result in more natural gas.

THIS IS EVIDENCE THAT PROGRESSIVES ARE IN FACT NOT FOR CLIMATE SCIENCE AND DO NOT ACTIVELY PURSUE STORIES FOR THE REDUCTION OF CO2.

These organizations are just are nearly as bad as FOX news. Sure they don’t deny pollution’s existence, but they refuse to present the overwhelming evidence of potential environmental catastrophe unless it benefits their own personal position regardless of the scientific evidence.

They are good questions XXX. What is your problem???

No worries…

The human-climate feedback loop is heating up (pun intended). Rising temps and sea levels, catastrophic weather events, droughts, disease spreading where it hasn’t before and the result?

Tens of millions, if not hundreds or more, of humans wiped out in shorter and shorter periods of time. Less humans, less fossil fuel use. And the planet will continue the cleansing long past the time humanity draws down on environmental destruction and reaches an equilibrium of some sort (which may or may not include humanity).

Hair Fuhrer because he eats methane producing food all day?

It must be tough to only be able to handle one issue at a time.

Fake news. The earth is only 6000 years old. It’s in the Bible, or it was pulled out some moron’s ass. But it’s true.