Home | About | Donate

Eating Animals Will Be the Death of Us

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/02/04/eating-animals-will-be-death-us

2 Likes

Excellent article Juliet Gellatley.

I fear that we are a Minority on this subject.

I have been a Vegan for 40 years and thoroughly enjoy the enormous variety of every Plant Based Morsel that I eat.

It is not complicated as Ms Gellatley explains.

Unprocessed Animal Waste is causing endless problems like E. Coli bacteria getting into our Water Supply and onto our food.

Farmers are using this contaminated Cesspool water to irrigate their plants and this is the reason so many people get very sick from a simple salad.

Factory Farming is also the number one cause of Carbon Monoxide, even greater than the Combustible Engine.

And eating Meat is also the reason why we are destroying our forests including the Amazon Jungle, which is the source of our clean air through Photosynthesis.

Fast Food chains are clearing our forests to allow cattle to graze so they can cheaply be turned into Beef Patties.

Plant Based Burger Patties easily rival eating the corpse of a dead animal.

Beyond Meat Burgers, currently being sold at Burger King and in Local Supermarkets is a Phenomenal Plant Based substitute for Animal Products.

Go Vegan for Personal Health, For the Health of the Planet and especially to end the Disease and Cruelty associated with raising Animals for food.

7 Likes

With the US putting so many children in cages, do you think the US will stop putting animals in cages ?

2 Likes

Actually, animal versus forest agriculture does not make a particularly reasonable opposition. One can (and should) include animals in agriculture, and one should include forests as well.

That does not mean that nothing is wrong with the factory farms. They are as bad as indicated. It is just that not all meat is raised that way, and none should be. And also, it is not true that all vegetable-based food is raised in non-destructive ways, not by a long shot.

People purchasing through large retail companies and factory farms reduce their footprints by not eating animal products. People who get their food through other means can reduce their footprints still more or become regenerative and have omnivorous diets. In some circumstances, they must have omnivorous diets to do so.

3 Likes

I have mixed feelings here. I don’t eat meat of any kind, but dairy products like cheese and ice cream… I don’t see a problem with.

The problem is how it is done. If I had my own cow, who had a beautiful baby, both of which I treated like family, I feel it would be okay to take some milk to make my own “dairy products” without doing harm to either of them.

What we are discussing is agri-dominance done by the few in a massive way for profits. That isn’t the only option. Like many things, if done on a personal level it can be done with ethics , morality, and a respect for life.

1 Like

Scientifically Inaccurate?? No science was mentioned. That is the beautiful thing about farming and food production. You can use your own six senses to exchange with and understand the ecology around you and how you are playing a role in it all. No science necessary, just mindfulness.

The problem is that the general population, who feels entitled to make comments about food systems, has no clue where their food actually comes from. We are so damn disconnected from our food production. If you visited some organic farms (not the CAFO ones, the real ones) and saw the interactions that farmers have with their animals I think you would change your mind. Plus, find me a mixed vegetable farm that doesn’t rely on animal byproducts for added fertility to their soil.

1 Like

This hasn’t been my main motivation (I’m primarily vegan for the environmental benefit) but I’m always interested in making my particular vegan diet a healthy one. And so a piece caught me eye that I’m wondering if you read - it’s an anti-vegan piece at the BBC (~https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200127-how-a-vegan-diet-could-affect-your-intelligence). I just read it along with two responses:

~https://proveg.com/uk/proveg-responds-to-bbc-futures-how-a-vegan-diet-could-affect-your-intelligence/).

~https://www.plantbasednews.org/opinion/bbc-article-veganism-affects-intelligence-outdated-data

I’m pretty disappointed in the BBC for publishing what I consider a pretty poor article that often resorts to speculation. The creatine supplement advice was laughable. So I’m supposed to take it to cram for an exam, but not all the time?

What is your take on which supplements are justified and at what levels? I have taken vitamin D supplements after being deficient according to blood test results, but I’ve been fine on B12 (I eat a lot of nutritional yeast, don’t take a supplement very often). I eat some fortified foods without really keeping track (so I get some B-6 that way I’m guessing). I took some vegan sourced (algae) DHA for a couple months but I’m not convinced the data is there that this is that useful. Nutritionists have made mistakes in the past - beta carotine turned out to have little benefit and was actually a mild harm if you were a smoker. So I think it is irresponsible for BBC to throw out the scare that you need all these supplements if you don’t want to deprive your brain or you need to start eating meat directly cause we might know what supplements you should take (hey, fuck all those Indians and their religion which is too backward to let them eat meat - is that the attitude of the BBC now?). My respect for the BBC has dropped considerably after this and I will definitely not be reading this author again.

1 Like

The United States continues to lag behind many other countries in its protections for farmed animals and wildlife, with the country receiving a D grade in an updated global ranking.

U.S. animal protection laws are inconsistent, inadequate, and at times, contradictory at the state level, where most animal welfare laws originate and lack transparency and accountability at the federal level.

What kind of uncultured people eat cows, pigs, sheep, chickens and turkeys who are tortured in factory farms? Westerners. And if you think the animals you eat are “humanely euthanized” you are telling yourself a fairy tale. Animals are routinely dismembered while still alive. Slaughter regulations are not enforced. Those organic, free range farms you get your animal flesh from use the same transport systems and slaughterhouses as factory farms. I encourage you to learn the truth about who you are eating.

I farm. I raise a few hundred meat chickens as well as a few hundred acres of crops. The chickens have a shelter, clean bedding, and a meadow to forage in. A mobile butcher comes to the farm and we kill the chickens together. One minute the bird is alive and happy, the next it is gone. My customers appreciate that.

I don’t like factory farms either. But you should consider this. If animals were “tortured”, they would not grow, and these farms would to bankrupt. We may lament their lack of access to the outdoors, and the environmental lunacy of concentrating so many in one place, with the result that there isn’t enough land to spread their manure. But torture is too extreme a word.

The problem with dairy is that none of it comes about as you describe. In commercial dairy farms, even the small ‘good’ ones, a cow is artificially impregnated and her calf is taken from her soon after birth. If a boy, he will be killed immediately or confined and killed later for veal. Girls will be returned to the system. When dairy cows don’t produce enough milk to be profitable, they are all sent to be slaughtered for cheap meat. Dairy IS the meat industry, only with more time and exploitation between birth and death. If you have stopped eating meat, your values are already in opposition to dairy. I encourage you to do some research on the industry. All the best!

1 Like