Home | About | Donate

Ecuador Moves To Close Leading Environmental Organization as Part of Crackdown on Civil Society

Ecuador Moves To Close Leading Environmental Organization as Part of Crackdown on Civil Society

Amazon Watch

WASHINGTON - Ecuador's Environment Ministry announced yesterday its intention to shutter Acción Ecológica, the country's leading grassroots environmental organization. The move is a clear reprisal to the group's efforts to raise awareness about environmental and indigenous rights concerns over a planned mega-copper mine on the lands of the Shuar indigenous people in the southern Ecuadorian Amazon. Then yesterday evening the national police raided the offices of the Shuar federation, FICSH, detaining its president, Agustín Wachapa.

###

Is it Ecuador or Bolivia that has the rights of nature written into its Constitution?

Ecuador.

I am a U.S. expat that has lived in Ecuador for over 4 years. President Correa has shown Ecuador what Trump will show the United States ... the Constitution is a sheet of paper with words on it.

The Constitution applies when it supports the the agenda of the president. When it doesn't ... the Constitution is (will be) ignored.

After all, a president has command of the military ... this should cause great concern since Trump's administration will be laden with high-ranking, ex-military personnel. When it's all said and done, that trumps (no pun intended) Congress, the Supreme Court and the will of the masses.

Using the military, opposition can be "cleaned up" rather quickly. History has proven this (example: Hitler in Germany and Lenin and Stalin in Russia) to be fact. It's foolishness and naive to believe that the U.S. is immune to such authoritarian activities that get in the way of the presidential agenda.

I get it about Trump.

What is the deal with Correa? Has this been a real change of posture on his part or has he always been just another Latin strong man who faked not being that for awhile?