Home | About | Donate

"Ed, I'm On Your Side": Snowden Allies Beam Calls for Pardon On DC Museum

"Ed, I'm On Your Side": Snowden Allies Beam Calls for Pardon On DC Museum

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Supporters of U.S. whistleblower Edward Snowden on Saturday projected thousands of messages calling for his pardon onto the Washington, D.C. museum dedicated to freedom of expression and information.

Pardon Snowden and award him the [*] Peace Prize!

"Republicans" (and maybe some others) would be almost as upset as they were when Edison offed Topsy (the elephant), maybe.

U.S. Charges Snowden with Espionage.

...don't recall Nixon being charged, found guilty, and then sentenced (but there's lots I don't recall).

regards from the USofA!

If you believe that, then you haven't read much of Snowden's history, or his reasons for the leaks. He's a true believer in the Fourth Amendment, and was stymied when he pointed out the abuses to superiors--he was told to shut up and do as he was told.

His "personal goals" were and are to see the US live up to the tenets of the US Constitution. His patriotism was what led him to release the documents, so that the US public would know what its government was doing, violating their rights in secret. For this we all (USans) owe him a debt of gratitude.

Obama could pardon him, it's been done before, for example, by Gerald Ford when he pardoned Tricky Dick without trial, conviction, etc, but you are right that it won't happen because the alphabet agencies would go off the deep end.

I was writing my response to Don when you posted yours--we both have Tricky Dick on our minds today--lucky us. :slight_smile:

Gerald Ford's pardon of Nixon WAS a presidential pardon, as Ford was President at the time he pardoned Nixon.

If they are not going to pardon Snowden they should at least force General Betrayus into exile the way they forced Snowden.

The US Republic vs. The US Empire.
The Empire is currently winning with the Rebels, the true Patriots, behind bars including Snowden, Manning, Asange, and many others as well. The unwitting public has once again been outsmarted and another "Presidential Election being foisted upon us. Meanwhile, true Patriot Jill Stein, of the Greens is trying to get a fair recount of the recent "elections" with no support from the so-called DNC opposition... So we have now a one party system with Squads A & B switching spots once again in the so called Pres-Election.... The one true silver lining of the recent election is that Populace voted against the system with many people voting against Clinton and many others voting against Trump.....true Trump did pitch a remarkable Faux-Populist Battle....although he out-witted the Populace once, it will likely not happen again....maybe the pitchforks will be brought out the next time, or . maybe somebody worse than Trump next time around.....

Talk about an arrogant attitude--that describes yours to a "T", I'd say. Again, if you've read Snowden's personal history before his job with an NSA contractor, you might be able to see through your own certainty as to his motives.

I mean really, Don, the manner in which you wrote of the difference between pardoning a president and a presidential pardon was just a bit too confusing to my feeble mind. To answer your question, though, now that I've caught up to your quick mind, the status of the person being pardoned is immaterial in a presidential pardon.

Having said that, I'd thought that it might be possible to have a civilized, respectful conversation with you about some subject other than criticism of Obama, but my dull mind now sees that that is not possible, so from now on I will not respond to any of your posts, regardless of subject. We can both be grateful for that, I'm sure.

Wishing you'd keep your 'luv' in Canada,

The President most definitely can parton Snowden:

Oh, suggested that it may be different pardoning the president as opposed to a presidential pardon? Based on what? Trump logic?
He was paying attention. It's just that you may have spouted nonsense and are now trying to cover it up.

I suggest you carefully read the article, it is perfectly clear that the president has the power to pardon before charges have even been formally brought, and can pardon as long as the person being pardoned admits guilt.

"NOW, THEREFORE, I, GERALD R. FORD, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this eighth day of September, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and seventy-four, and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred and ninety-ninth.
Gerald Ford Signature"

Not really, impeachment was moot, Nixon resigned. The pardon was for any crimes he may have committed, even possible crimes unknown at the time of the pardon. Impeachment if successful only removes the person from office. It does not exempt that person from further legal liability.

The 1867 decision in the case Ex Parte Garland dealt with the pardoning of Confederate soldiers after the Civil War. In their decision, the Court said regarding Presidential pardons, “It extends to every offence known to the law, and may be exercised at any time after its commission, either before legal proceedings are taken or during their pendency, or after conviction and judgment.”

There you go. A pardon can take place “before legal proceedings are taken.

good point, but there exists a precedent for a pre-trial pardon. ford pardoned nixon who had not yet been impeached.

Articles of impeachment had been voted out of the House Judiciary Committee, but a bi-partisan group of Congressmen and Senators convinced Nixon to resign for the good of the country, telling him he would probably be impeached by the full House and convicted by the Senate. So, Nixon resigned. Not clear but always denied was that a promise of a pardon by Ford was part of the deal for him to resign. MoFo should have gone to prison for what he did. Now it's become practically impossible to go after a former President for crimes committed in office - like Dubya, who belongs on death row for all of his war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Obama better pardon Snowden, or he will be getting frog-walked by Russian goons onto a plane bound for Guantanamo Bay, USA on January 20, 2017 at exactly 12:01:00 PM Eastern US time (8:01:00 PM Moscow time)

But then again even in the vanishingly small chance that Obama does pardon him, Snowden may find himself the victim of an "accident" on the way to the Sheremetyevo Airport to return home.

Much more recently, there was the pre-emptive, pre-trial pardon of Iran-contra criminal Casper Weinberger and 5 others by Bush I in 1992.

I guess you don't remember Bush I's pre-emptive, pre-trial pardon of Iran-contra criminal Casper Weinberger and 5 others in 1992?

I can understand that Canadians may not have taken a huge interest in the Iran-Contra scandal, but curious, how old are you?