Home | About | Donate

Email Marked 'Confidential' by GOP Shows Kavanaugh Pushed for John Yoo, Legal Architect of Bush Torture Program, to Be a Federal Judge

Email Marked 'Confidential' by GOP Shows Kavanaugh Pushed for John Yoo, Legal Architect of Bush Torture Program, to Be a Federal Judge

Julia Conley, staff writer

Included in the Judge Brett Kavanaugh-related documents the Senate Judiciary Committee strived to keep hidden from the public this week by marking them "committee confidential" are a series of emails in which the U.S. Supreme Court nominee pushed to make one of the country's biggest proponents of torture a federal judge.

1 Like

The effort at Abu Ghraib has clearly been an effort for the CIA to actually begin
again to study and practice torture – without which you can’t run a dictatorship.

Also reminiscent of systems of torture and new precedents of torture used by the
Vatican in its Inquisition and “Witch Hunts” – and its still existing Papal Edicts to
“Enslave or Kill” native people and Africans.

While many of us have the illusion that the Vatican has given up its armies …
CIA whistleblower, John Stockwell, who has been featured on C-span over the past
decades and can be found on YouTube has told us that the CIA is “Catholics In Action.”

1 Like

This is a clear marker of Kavanaugh’s mind and vision of the law.

Kavanaugh’s support for John Yoo clearly looks into Kavanaugh’s own.

The odious John Yoo wrote the Torture Memos and among other things opined that it would be legal for authorities - agents of the republic - to torture a prisoner by crushing the testicles of his child to get the father to talk. He claimed there was no law or treaty that would forbid or find such actions against any statute or document…that is at odds with all America is/was supposed to stand-for!

It seems clear to me that Kavanaugh’s support for Yoo’s belief, understanding, interpretation, of the law, also reflects Kavanaugh’s own - to my mind and moral compass a vision that does great damage to America and our future.

3 Likes

Bad Judgement from a Bad Man.

2 Likes

If the relative few revelations in the documents so-far released by some within the Committee are any indicator, those left still hidden by design to shield Kavanaugh must be released, AND more time given to study and discuss those documents and their meanings…THAT is the essence of the oversight responsibilities of the Congress written into the US Constitution, to 'advise and consent" for any lifetime SCOTUS nominee!

Given the record of the nominator, his record of corruption, contempt for the rule of law, and the overall legal morass he is in, a rush to judgment is contrary to the role of Congress, regardless the minority and majority party hyper partisanship bullying!

https://truthout.org/articles/kavanaugh-must-be-stopped-and-republicans-must-stop-him/

5 Likes

Yoo is currently the Emanuel S. Heller Professor of Law at the University of California, Berkeley .
So much for the Liberal Bias of Berkley.

Up is Down and Dark is Light…But Torture is still Torture

John You will go down in Infamy as the fig leaf for the Criminal Dick Cheney.

Gee Daddy what did you do with your years of legal scholarship and practice.

Why I wrote the nonsense that overturned Centuries of World Humanitarian Law against Torture.

Because, as I have always taught you students, it’s not really torture unless the arm is severed.

Thanks Berkley and Republicans for supporting this Ghoul…you lying morons.

Goes for you too Kavanaugh, nothing like having a ringing endorsement from fellow SS.

8 Likes

They’re trying damn hard to make sure there is no doubt the US is a CHRISTIAN nation, even if it means violating every teaching of Christ himself to put these Christians in power.

5 Likes

One fascist S.O.B. CHOOSING ANOTHER FASCIST S.O.B.!

3 Likes

And to think that John Yoo went on to be a member of the law school at U.C. Berkeley! The mind boggles.
This scumbag, Kavanaugh would have loved Yoo on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to be a right-wing shill to oppose their liberal decisions. Gawd, I hate these assholes. If Kavanaugh is somehow confirmed by Rethug chicanery this country will see an acceleration of all the evil that Trumpo the Klown represents on behalf of his string pullers. We will continue our precipitous decline due to these extremists. Hey, Americans - are you thoroughly nauseated by all of Trumpo’s “winning” yet?

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. These so-called “Christians” are some of the most vile hypocrites you will ever meet.

4 Likes

The ugliness of Kavanaugh seems to know no bounds. His support of the execrable Yoo ought to leave no doubt in anyone’s mind that this man is both a repellent human being and totally unfit to hold a position as any kind of judge. That so many who are in a position to make that determination, were acquiescent when the torture was going on, and when the time and opportunity presented itself to haul the perpetrators before a court of law, suggests that they will also acquiesce here as well.

I’d love to be proven wrong and that this is not all political theater meant to obscure that it’s really all just business as usual.

2 Likes

In most colleges and universities the administration is significantly more right wing than the students. Maybe not so much in religious schools, but Berkeley is a large public university.

1 Like

I hear EXACTLY what you are saying, lived that
Don’t underestimate Jesuit Republicans as well
They are the rank and file
Bless you Son, now off to War with you
God forgives you

Democratic members of the Senate Judiciary Committee have been asking about the records that have not been released to the Committee or have been designated “Committee Confidential”, thus not allowing them to be referenced during public interviews in hearings to confirm Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination for a seat on the Supreme Court… “What are they trying to hide?” I suspect that this is just a tiny percentage of the documents that could reveal what a monster tBrett Kavanaugh will be once he becomes a Justice for Life.

1 Like