Home | About | Donate

Emergency Action Sought in Flint, Where Some Still Can't Get Clean Water

Emergency Action Sought in Flint, Where Some Still Can't Get Clean Water

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Emergency action needs to be taken for Flint, Michigan residents, two years into its lead poisoning crisis, as many residents still don't have access to clean water, a coalition of environmental and human rights groups said on Wednesday.

Donald Trump is a degenerate lunatic.
Hillary Clinton is a sickly, old, woman who never seems to be able to tell the truth.

America, the land that time forgot.

Neither Trump nor Clinton are currently in positions of being able to do anything about this deplorable situation, not in any official capacity. Don't blame either of them.

The President IS in a position, however, but he's too busy wooing the MIC and Israel, and he doesn't believe in using the bully pulpit. In my book, he precisely demonstrates what "democrats" are all about. You strip away the rhetoric of the two corporate parties, and you're left with identical weasels.

He's still trying to find those "comfortable walking shoes" so he can join the protests.
Musta permanently misplaced them, near as I can tell.

So Trump will prevent EPA from doing its job by removing funding, and Hillary will use the Bush-Obama method of preventing it from doing its job by installing revolving door corporate funders to oversee it, like with the FDA, SEC, BLM, NRC, and others. Pick your poison!

Or... vote for someone who has not been bought off.

This is the standard oligarchs' protocol ...

... too many poor people ...

... get rid of them ...

Obama took action this year in January, he declared an emergency in response to the governor's request:
check whitehouse dot gov for press releases in January 2016. I can't put a link to it here, but if you don't believe me send me an email and I'll send you the link. From the press release:

"The President today, in response to a request from the Governor submitted on January 14, 2016, declared that an emergency exists in the State of Michigan and ordered federal aid to supplement state and local response efforts due to the emergency conditions in the area affected by contaminated water.

The President's action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives and to protect property and public health and safety, and to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in Genesee County."

"Specifically, FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize, and provide at its discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency. Emergency protective measures, limited to direct federal assistance, will be provided at 75 percent federal funding. This emergency assistance is to provide water, water filters, water filter cartridges, water test kits, and other necessary related items for a period of no more than 90 days. "

The 90 day stipulation is a questionable part of the action. Look to congress for that one. They've hobbled the President ever since he took office. As a result, they've hobbled the entire country. We spent a fortune fighting a war, and now we can't afford to help fix infrastructure that is falling apart. Why was the river in Flint polluted with high acidity in the first place? Follow the money trail in the city of industry. Right wingers will chortle: "down with the epa" Really? Remember the Cuyahoga River fire? If it wasn't for the epa, and the clean water act, the Cuyahoga River incident would be happening all over the USA, and a lot more people would be drinking poisoned water.

Michael Moore Flint native paraphrased, what is happening in Flint would not have happened in Grosse Pointe. Governor Snyder, Washington D.C. DON'T CARE! Sorry, It would already have been taken care of if they did.It is like every thing else in Michigan, destroying the public schools, mining operations on Native Land next to their pristine river, on, and, on it goes.

Neither Trump nor Clinton gives a damn about Flint's problem -- they're both owned by extractive & industrial corporations.

Again: Blaming Trump or Clinton is as meaningless as blaming me.

The President of the United States, if he gave the slightest damn about people in Flint Michigan drinking poisoned water, would follow through with his agencies, use the bully pulpit, and make this grotesque problem be resolved.

Unless you feel it's okay for Americans to drink poisoned water for...how long now? Instead, you're falling back on the "congress that hobbles the president" excuse. I'm not buying it anymore, not since the democrats proved how corrupt THEY are.

You can praise him all you want: I've had enough of his first priorities of kissing the asses of the MIC and every corporation that wants him to pass TPP or some other form of corporate welfare (like Obamacare). He doesn't give a flying you-know-what about the people of this country. And yes, it will be the same with either of those derelicts who want the office for the next 8 years. For now, it's not their fault, it's HIS fault due to his inability to grow a pair.

Odd, how the USA can invade a country and bomb it to smithreens at the drop of a hat but can't resolve disasters harming taxpayers in its own country.

Way to go Desiree Duell. Your words must be repeated! Don't come at us with this run government like a business mentality that started this whole mess! The purpose of a government is to regulate business and provide for common defense. When the rich own and try to run the government to benefit themselves THAT is the largess that 'people vote to give themselves' that kills a government.