Home | About | Donate

Employees Hold Virtual Walkout to Protest Facebook Inaction on Trump Posts 'Advocating Violence Against Black Demonstrators'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/01/employees-hold-virtual-walkout-protest-facebook-inaction-trump-posts-advocating

How about this. How about everybody just stop using Facebook and Twitter until shit stops?

8 Likes

I don’t know why anyone is so stupid to use Facebook or other social network sites. All they do is spy on you for corporations and the government all the while enriching sociopaths like Zuckerberg. It just goes to show how self centered and vain consumers all around the world are, but especially in the USA. Like BigB posted I would say everybody should stop using Facebook and Twitter, but for good. Let them all go down the drain where they belong.

4 Likes

Trump’s posts and tweets are threats to more than just black people…they echo 19th century robber baron Jay Gould’s dream that “half the working class kill the other half”.

Unfortunately, Gould was probably correct then, as he may still be today. Only this time the problem is even sadder, as he, or any oligarch could hire a third of the people to kill another third. The saddest part of all is that a third of us would just sit there with their thumbs up their asses and do nothing.

2 Likes

Stop paying taxes while they are being used to put down the people.
Whites, wearing white shirts, and living the dream are not the only citizen Americans. Do we really have to fight to make that clear?

1 Like

OM DOG! Facebook has EMPLOYEES? Actual humans somewhere who work? Doing what? Sure is not helping those online with problems on that hideous little site. unbelievable crap slung and when it is against me, never something that warrants a bloody thing being done. Oh I hope it fails and fails BiG.

Call me a Luddite, but I view social media as agents of mental and social illness. I’ve never used them and never will.

3 Likes

Thanks! I just found my thumb!

That so much of our social narrative and “news” is driven by the likes of facebook and twitter reflects the attention span of the gnat-like attention span of the American “reality” culture. Richard Hofstadter’s (1962) Anti-Intellectualism In American Life is a great read on our trajectory to where we find ourselves today. Such a shame that when doom is spotted on the horizon it is ignored. But as Mark Twain quipped, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

2 Likes

You are of course correct.Technology and government are not by definition bad things. The way social media is used certainly is rife with problems. Government run well with the people’s interest at heart would be a good thing. I don’t know if that’s ever been done.

True enough! Specifically, I don’t use twitter or facebook, or any of the others, and I don’t allow anyone to “push”-feed me “news.” I choose what to take in. I correspond with CD (the only place I engage) because I have some familiars here. I leave for long periods of time when it gets to be too much; that is, when it makes me sick. But still, touche!

1 Like

I’m still wondering how Zuckerberg got a human to marry him. Unless, maybe Serial-killer-face-robot-talker built himself a lifelike human?