Home | About | Donate

Ending 'Premeditated and Discriminatory' Executions, Gov. Newsom Issues California Death Penalty Moratorium

Ending 'Premeditated and Discriminatory' Executions, Gov. Newsom Issues California Death Penalty Moratorium

Julia Conley, staff writer

Anti-death penalty activists applauded California Gov. Gavin Newsom's planned executive order announcing a moratorium on capital punishment in the state on Wednesday.

A day for celebration here in California and around the world. The world has become a little lighter and I applaud Gov. Newsom for his courage and caring. The people of the world need to stop killing each other and figure out a way to how we are going to survive as a species. Human rights and dignity should be at the top of any government’s agenda.

1 Like

A big " amen, brothers and sisters " to Gov. Newsom and all the many thousands of folks in the world who work diligently to end this senseless killing. The death penalty is wrong for so many reasons and on so many levels; in truth, taking a knee here is absolutely the morally right thing to do.
FYI- The governor just saved California taypayers potentially about $400 million dollars, as well. A good days work by any measure.

our governor continues to surprise me in a good way. GO GAVIN!

Thank you.
Since I was a child, growing up in California, this was my first, and has been my longest, most deeply-held political issue.
Thank you.