Home | About | Donate

'Enough to Make Me Gag': Warren and Sanders Decry Latest Big Pharma Giveaway

'Enough to Make Me Gag': Warren and Sanders Decry Latest Big Pharma Giveaway

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

U.S. Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) have come out swinging against a heavily lobbied healthcare bill they say has been "hijacked" by Big Pharma.

The 21st Century Cures Act, poised to pass the House on Wednesday and the Senate soon after, would ostensibly advance medical innovation with increased funding for initiatives like Vice President Joe Biden's cancer "moonshot" and Alzheimer's research as well as provisions to accelerate the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) approval process.

Cornyn 's cry for more "civility" rings false. Slave owning planters were quite civil in public I hear.

(With apologies to Richard Rogers and Lorenz Hart)

"It seem we stood and talked like this before
we looked at each other in the same way then,
But I can't remember where or when.
The clothes you're wearing are the clothes you wore.
The smile you are smiling you were smiling then,
But i can't remember where or when.

Some things that happen for the first time,
Seem to be happening again..."

Lizzie and Bernie--what a pair! Talk is cheap when you know you cannot and never will do anything about it. So let the gadflies swarm around the manure pile of Congress and let's all be grateful for relief from boredom.

What did the democrats do about big pharma, or giving the American people a single-payer, or nationalized healthcare system when the democrats had total control of the senate, house, and presidency, for the first 2 years of Obama's presidency? Nothing!

"Will this Congress say that yes, we're bought and paid for, or will we stand up and work for the American people?"
—Sen. Elizabeth Warren

Will Elizabeth Warren say that "yes, I made a terrible mistake in endorsing Hillary instead of Bernie"?

I sincerely doubt Sen. Warren will say that she made a mistake in endorsing Hillary. The entire Democratic Party made that mistake.

Pretty clear at this point that Don's shtick here is to protect corporate governance while blaming the masses who have been screwed by such.

BS from Canada.

Barry bribed Big Pharma as his first step in entrenching for profit health insurance, With only Democrats and Republicans, the people have nobody to fight for them.

And it's why they lost the Senate, House, and now the Presidency.

I'm starting to wonder if he has a reading comprehension disorder or something as his takeaways on issues morph weirdly out of wack.

Now this is showing what American Democracy really is.

OK so what ARE the corporate giveaways?

Don, this "luv from canada" is patronising, kitschy and offensive. give it up and stop pretending Saint Barack was a benefit to anyone but the rich.

Thanks Elizabeth for a good speech, and for breaking the 21st Century Cures Act down so that commoners can see the evil in it. If it wasn't for Bernie and Elizabeth we wouldn't know how badly we are being screwed.

If you never took it to a vote you didn't make an effort. Go back and review Obama's defeats, they were all self-declared without a fight.

These two had a chance to stand up but they supported Clinton the most pharma friendly candidate running......please

Really Warren could have rallied with Sanders during the primaries......2 absolute phonies.

Dear reader. This schmuck goes around accusing people of racism that have never written one racist comment.

At least the principled Democrats are holding out for some sexy bribes that will look good in the next round of campaigning.

Give that a rest already. Warren did the political thing and actually did not endorse either candidate until the convention was over. As a firm Sanders supporter I understand that. Her endorsement for either candidate had no bearing on my opinion of either candidate. I just felt that two neoliberal Democratic presidents in a row was quite enough.