Home | About | Donate

Enough. Wake Up, Sheeple!

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/03/enough-wake-sheeple

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’” -

Isaac Asimov

Obviously, this is nothing new, but now ignorance can be spread, digitally, and, of course, we have an ignoramus in the White House who has long been a charter member of the cult.

6 Likes

You are not a smart man, already on the wrong side of history.

Who, exactly is not a smart man living on the wrong side of history?

The problem with people who write or talk about “all these conspiracy theorists” is that they often paint with too wide a brush. Conspiracies, great and small, do exist, alongside a large number of faux conspiracies. Many people prefer to sweep everything that challenges “expert” opinion, or “official government” opinion into the loony bin, and this is far more dangerous than the literally thousands of people who believe, for example, that the earth is flat. Flat earthers enjoy hanging out and sharing a beer and having a laugh and, yes, being critical - either seriously or only tongue-in-cheek - of the notion that our planet is a sphere. When conspiracy theory trashers somehow manage to bully or ridicule people into accepting things like that JFK was murdered by little Oswald, to the point where they essentially refuse to consider their government, or more accurately of course, particular members of government, to ever be capable of committing deeds that are downright evil, they help to pave the way for situations like the one we have now with Trump, and many of his cohorts. And why those same people are willing to accept that US corporations like Wells Fargo Bank or J&J would willingly break the law and cheat or even indirectly kill people for profit, but are unwilling to accept that either corporations or government might do similar things for reasons other than money (or reasons that may include money) such as for political principles, racist beliefs, their “love” or obedience to their God, for (perhaps paranoid) notions of national security… We all lose.

2 Likes

Hannah Arendt quote reminds me of Voltaire’s, “He who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

2 Likes

It’s not the rampant ignorance that gets to me, it’s the willful ignorance.

The business of

1. what we should care about,
  2. what we say,
  3. what we do,
  4. our intentions

Has gone wacko in many areas of US government, in government communication as the article describes, but also in climate, prisons, environmental protection, “defense”, banking, among others. In the article below, Julian Castro has a bill to shine a better light on policing.

This article along the same lines says it is from CD, but I don’t remember seeing it. Maybe I missed it.
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/ralph-nader-american-society-is-in-rapid-decay/