Home | About | Donate

Enraged Opponents Vow Nonviolent Resistance After Louisiana Pipeline Approved

Enraged Opponents Vow Nonviolent Resistance After Louisiana Pipeline Approved

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

"Landowners, impacted communities, indigenous peoples, and environmental groups have made their stance clear; for the benefit of the water, the land, and Gulf Coast communities this dirty Bayou Bridge pipeline cannot be built."

That pipeline will cause property values to plummet along with polluting any and all water sources. But, hey, think of all the jobs the pipeline will create…just listen to the PR BS that usually precedes such environmental destruction.

Why be non-violent while protesting…the perpetrators of this desecration are raining down violence on everything they touch.

One way to resist is to stop using oil and its related products, like plastic. Wal-Mart has and will never get a dime from me, for example. Capitalists understand one thing: greed, and anything that gets in the way of that greed is GOOD.

"Non-violence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man."
Mahatma Gandhi

And Gandhi advocated the use of force in spite of his words…albeit, sotto voce.

“Non-violence for now”. I like that, leaves the door open.
This could turn out to be one hell of a show. This energy co., and the rest of the country is clueless about Cajun country. These are very tightknit communities, If the company pushes hard, they will be educated (and I don’t mean with books). My money is with the Cajuns.

The “investors” must always be protected. The common people, not so much!

Does anybody believe nonviolent resistance will change anything? It is time to ratchet up our “resistance” so that Trump, Republicans, Wall Street. and special interests, et al will be forced to reconsider this Bayou Bridge pipeline.

From the dictionary:

1. the refusal to accept or comply with something; the attempt to prevent something by action or argument.

2. the ability not to be affected by something, especially adversely.
    “some of us have a lower resistance to cold than others”

Within that context there is passive resistance and non-cooperation, that is pretty much what Gandhi advocated.

Then there is assertive resistance and aggressive resistance, That is pretty much the range of behavior.

I would say the Trump administration is somewhere in the first two along with criminal negligence nationally. In the case of these pipelines I think they are an accommodation to foreign investors.

Without adequate regulation, Once the water in contaminated and local economy ruined there isn’t much to be done in some terms. Look at Puerto Rico as an example. There is gradually a lower quality of life that continues to grow and impact people and degrade the environment. Sometimes permanently.