Home | About | Donate

Environmentalists Urge Democrats to Join Sanders in Opposing Dirty Energy Bill

Environmentalists Urge Democrats to Join Sanders in Opposing Dirty Energy Bill

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

As Senate Democrats stay silent on an energy bill that environmental groups call "a pro-fracking giveaway to oil and gas interests that would commit America to decades more of dangerous fossil fuel dependence," Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) is receiving applause for speaking out against it.

Dems will prove useless in opposing this agenda of the fossil fuel industry, if my state of California is any indication. Here, Democrats have a super majority (2/3) in both legislative houses and the governorship. Yet our lawmakers, heavily financed by fossil fuel corporations, heartily embrace fracking, dumping used fracking fluids with abandon into our aquifers and into the ocean. I’ve attempted to contact my state reps about this; they don’t even bother to respond.
Of course, if I were representing an oil company, they’d no doubt invite me to dinner and listen eagerly to my views.

“As Senate Democrats stay silent” says it all. The Democratic Party establishment and the vast majority of its elected members are owned and operated by the same big moneyed corporate interests the Republicans are.

Exactly so Mr Mud, “Democrats stay silent on” - fill in the blank!

Funded and controlled by big-money from corporate and other sources that has become so central (and criminal) to our political charade called “democracy”.

Time for a new party that won’t stay silent. www.draftbernie.org

I would like to know WHY most every picture of Bernie Sanders is showing him with an angry face and raised voice?! A friend of mine said she would never vote for a person who looked so angry all the time. I think showing Bernie always angry, rather than showing him thoughtful and concerned, is giving him a really negative PR image!

" , no Democrat has publicly voiced opposition…," (to this dirty energy legislation.

So why does Bernie keep trying to fix democratic party? And he’s not even a democrat.

My revolution does not have a ceo or president but I could be convinced to support Bernie again if he quit trying to reform the anti labor war monger party.

It is up to us to identify those undemocratic “Democrats” and toss them out of office in 2018/19. For that we have to join organizations, which are actively vetting and supporting candidates to do just that.

Bernie himself will tell you, that a new party will not work. Rather you should join and support https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/s4p?source=bnc

• Because the route of a third party has been tried repeatedly and failed miserably. just ask Ralph Nader and Ross Perot. The whole electoral apparatus is stacked against it.
  • Because there is a viable movement afoot to clean out the scum from the Dem party and replace them with candidates, who have pledged not to accept corporate donations, nor donations from billionaires

Click on the link in my previous post (# 9) for more.

[quote=“paularae, post:6, topic:43457, full:true”] &NBP: “I would like to know WHY most every picture of Bernie Sanders is showing him with an angry face and raised voice?!  A friend of mine said she would never vote for a person who looked so angry all the time.  I think showing Bernie always angry, rather than showing him [being] thoughtful and concerned, is giving him a really negative PR image!” [/quote]

WHY?  'Cause the MSM is controlled by the same Multi-NaZional Korporations that own Wall Street, Big Oil, Big Pharma, etc. etc. Elizabeth Warren gets the same treatment, because the Establishment wants as many people as possible to react to photos of Bernie and Liz just like your friend does, even though their anger at what’s happening in this country is more than justified.

Whatever happened to ‘Birdie’ Sanders?  That photo showed the REAL Bernie, IMHO – a man with a heart!

Agreed!

The result and purpose of Citizens united and money is free speech.

It is up to people on the left of the political spectrum to get Democrats to oppose this bill. That means phone calls, e-mails, visits to offices, etc. Food and Water Watch has done a lot of organizing to stop this bill. Activists are needed.

[quote=“nineteen50, post:13, topic:43457, full:true”]   “The result and purpose of Citizens United and money is free speech.” [/quote]

But only for those who can afford it . . .

More “free market” quack quack quack.

Took about ten seconds to ascertain the political orientation of the “research” from IER. From the “About” page…

Free markets: History shows that private property rights, market exchange, and the rule of law have resulted in affordable energy, improved living standards and a cleaner environment.

[quote=“mcsandberg, post:15, topic:43457”]   “Perhaps Mr. Sanders and other innumerates should consider that energy users bills are skyrocketing so much that '. . . now renewable energy mandates are being scaled back.” [/quote]

Yes, Heaven (or Mother Nature) forfend that the American Consumer should have to bear any burden whatso­ever during the present emergency – for emergency it is. If rising prices don’t help to reduce demand, we’ll end up with WWII-era rationing.  Actually, we’re headed there anyway, once Global Warming / Climate Change re­duce food production a few years from now.

[quote=“Psychedelic_Chicken, post:17, topic:43457”]   “[It] took about ten seconds to ascertain the political orientation of the ‘research’ from IER. From the ‘About’ page . . .   ‘Free markets: History shows that private property rights, market exchange, and [corruption of] the rule of law have resulted in affordable energy, im­proved living standards and a cleaner environment [for the top one or two percent]’.” [/quote]

I think the Democratic Party Establishment is content to just sit back and let ‘their’ base believe they’re for sustainable energy legislation while the Republicans push Oil and Gas and Coal down everyone’s throat, while behind the scenes, most in Congress have massive investments in Dirty Energy in their portfolios.

Believing the Dems will get behind anything that affects the bottom lines of their campaign donors, is a pipe dream.

The problem is not that third party politicians fail miserably election after election, the problem is the American people’s love of war and death and human suffering that the Duopoly gives them for their votes.

The problem is the American people’s inability to ‘see’ politicians with integrity and honesty as a viable alternative to corrupt, greedy establishment serpents that will do anything for money.

The problem is the American people.

we are so in need of healing music…