Home | About | Donate

EPA Forces Staff to Attend Anti-Leak Classes as Attack on Environment Continues

EPA Forces Staff to Attend Anti-Leak Classes as Attack on Environment Continues

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Federal employees threatened over leaks while Trump administration wages war on planet

Our Mission
The mission of EPA is to protect human health and the environment.
EPA’s purpose is to ensure that:
all Americans are protected from significant risks to human health and the environment where they live, learn and work;
national efforts to reduce environmental risk are based on the best available scientific information;
federal laws protecting human health and the environment are enforced fairly and effectively;
environmental protection is an integral consideration in U.S. policies concerning natural resources, human health, economic growth, energy, transportation, agriculture, industry, and international trade, and these factors are similarly considered in establishing environmental policy;
all parts of society – communities, individuals, businesses, and state, local and tribal governments – have access to accurate information sufficient to effectively participate in managing human health and environmental risks;
environmental protection contributes to making our communities and ecosystems diverse, sustainable and economically productive; and
the United States plays a leadership role in working with other nations to protect the global environment.

Leakers should be congratulated and not punished. This sounds like another giant leap toward fascism. Or maybe it is just payback to some large contributor who owns a seminar presentation business.

Maybe they should hold those along with classes on the "NoFear Act.’

In the land that shouts endlessly from the podium about representing freedom, it appears that several hundred million American haven’t noticed that they are not free at all, and certainly not free enough to know what their tax-funded governance is actually doing. . . . . . "the Justice Department was launching an intense war on leaks, and planned to investigate and possibly prosecute government employees who share unauthorized information."
Instead of this, how bout launching an intense war on government that refuses to share information, giving the underminers of democracy stiff sentences and large fines? Make confidentiality agreements illegal. Demand the freedom to know.

It wasn’t just the EPA - the entire federal workforce had to take it.

I took this mandatory 1-hour anti-leak class online here at the Department of Labor. They announced it this morning, and it must be done by the end of tomorrow. I don’t know what will happen to those who happen to be on leave (or volunteering for FEMA duty in Texas, Florida or Puerto Rico) over these two days - maybe it is a trick to cull the federal workforce.

It even included a speech by Jeff Sessions - which I quickly clicked through to the next slide without watching - but still got electronic credit for watching it. There was not a quiz at the end - just a requirement that we “watch every slide”.

It was bullshit from one end to the other. The slides were classified as “FOUO” - and we were specifically warned to never identify ourselves as federal employees in any kind of outside political advocacy.

So I guess with this post I just committed a security breach - in an agency (MSHA) that, aside from keeping inspector’s mine site visit plans secret from the mine operator, has NO ethical reason for secrecy whatsoever.

Cheers,

Yunzer (if you need to know, you already know who I am)

The current US government to EPA employees, you are slime, you are scum, you are anti-corporations and anti-profit, you have no right to free speech, you have no rights what so ever, you filthy scum.
The current US government to victims of pollution, shit the fuck up and be thankful for you minimum wage job or we will take that from you.
The current US government to polluters, donations to the first door on the right and if you don’t like that one, the first door on the left is much the same, pollute as much as you want as long as you pay at election time.

Before I finally retired from private surveying and civil engineering and we were working on the gas boom we were presented with a list of written demands (requiring our signature) from our client about what we were permitted to say or not say as we performed our work among the public. Total bullshit - I didn’t sign it. I was probably the best PR that company ever had, and they wanted to turn me into a drone, uniform from Stanley Steamer and all. My boss, a guy I’d known and had a respectful professional relationship with for 20 years copped the attitude that I was somehow going to foment insurrection in the countryside, because of my “liberal” views. Fact is, by being open, honest, and professional with land owners I probably had the highest success rate of gaining access to their property to do my mapping. And I found out that “the countryside” knew as much or more about what was going on as I did.

Bravo to you, too! JS would fail the test outright yet continue to sit on his AG throne while pitching pennies at the boot-black boys that he will have installed at the entrance to the DOJ.