Home | About | Donate

'Era of Small Ideas Is Over': With Democrats Poised to Seize Senate, Progressives Say Party Has Mandate to Go Big

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/01/06/era-small-ideas-over-democrats-poised-seize-senate-progressives-say-party-has

1 Like

When have Biden, Schumer and Pelosi ever gone ‘Big’ for People?
I hope they surprise me but I’m not holding my breath. I’m expecting a lot of
Pragmatic Triangulated Incrementalism.
In a a big way.

22 Likes

But it is a start,however small, however unsatisfying. I think you fail to note the bills sent to the Senate by the Democratic House where they died.

2 Likes

I think the bills you are referring to would never have come to the floor if they had a chance in the senate or with the President. IT was more "Theater "

8 Likes

The question now will be, did the Democratic Party learn from their failures of 2009-2010, and subsequent success of the republicans in 2017-18? Will they finally catch on that, when you have the whole pie, you eat the whole fucking pie? You don’t have a sliver today and put it in the fridge and forget about it. You get out a gallon of milk (or a pot of coffee) you get a nice fork, and eat right out of the pan.
Now for why that probably won’t happen. This Democratic Party is still run by the same people that controlled it in 2009. And now they have a Christi-fascist stone wall to deal with at the SCOTUS and federal appellate court levels. It will take a bold agenda just to right the American ship, let alone get it moving in the right direction. The captains of that ship are Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, and now Chuck Schumer.
I challenge all three of them, and their phony coalition of Nixon republicans and various sundry “moderates” to be actual progressives again. The first shot fired from this democratic ship needs to be MFA. Followed immediately by Green New deal. If they don’t, the Democratic Party is doomed, and the nation will turn to slobbering fascists not for its betterment, but to manage its demise.

13 Likes

You mean like in 2009?

4 Likes

Oh, so bills are created, hammered out in committee, voted on by the full House, passed on to the Senate, all on a whim heh?

1 Like

Good point. We can only imagine how many of those bills passed in th least two years would have even got out of committee had Nancy or Steny believed for a second they may become law.

9 Likes

Yes. Don’t you have a clue how Washington works?

8 Likes

Exactly. Ol Joe’s philosophy doesn’t support ‘eating the whole fucking pie’.

Biden: 'No party should have too much power’
Former Vice President Joe Biden said he’s concerned about what would happen if Republicans get “clobbered” in next year’s election, suggesting such an outcome would be harmful to bipartisanship.
“I’m really worried that no party should have too much power,” Biden told reporters Friday during his bus tour in Iowa. “You need a countervailing force.”
~https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/473522-biden-no-party-should-have-too-much-power

and

Joe Biden Has a Long History of Giving Republicans Exactly What They Want
For Republicans, Joe Biden has long been the ideal negotiating partner — because he’s so willing to cave in on most anything Republicans want.
~https://www.jacobinmag.com/2020/02/joe-biden-history-republicans-tax-cuts-barack-obama-yesterdays-man

9 Likes

Hey B, when youve nothing to add just dont.

Not on a whim. It’s political Theater.
and yes, absolutely that happens. I think I have some articles on this very thing saved but I’m off to work now. Check back later in the day I’ll post them

12 Likes

I do not share your opinion thereof.

1 Like

That dance he does? … they call it the hootchie cootchie - and uncle Joe has shown himself to be the pro.

5 Likes

You got it pretty much okiedokokey except for the “meme” WHIM. Human societal evolution provides for presentation of conceptualizations of ideas calling for consideration by those representatives brought (when not bought) representing thee and me and others. Sortakindamaybe .

4 Likes

Oh yes!

Here comes s̶o̶c̶i̶a̶l̶i̶s̶m̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶a̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶l̶t̶h̶c̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶j̶o̶b̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ more surveillance, more war, and the end of Social Security.

Go, Team.

15 Likes

If the Dems win in Ga, don’t celebrate a majority power play finally. Biden/Harris will fu**up as the DP always does, and why they keep lasting. Biden has chosen professional grifters/politicians/war lovers stuck in the past. None of them, and others chosen, have a progressive bone in their body and are all morally bankrupt. A new day? Return to normal? Hardly. No prosecution for DT? Absolutely. Must move on, not look back. Gag me with a spoon!!!

The real story no MSM is covering is about Assange and the UK court halting his extradition to the US to be killed–Which is what would occur. The US does bot want him on trial. They want him dead. If Assange is released, which he should be and should have been months ago along with massive reparations for his illegal imprisonment, my prediction is he will be kidnapped and taken to a black site, never seen or heard from again, or welcomed to one of the super max prisons to never see the light of day again, or allowed to speak to another outside that cubicle. Simpler solution. and one the US prefers and has used for decades: Kill him and make it appear suicide. Assange has been a major embarrassment, this is a loss for them publicly and the US will never allow Assange to remain 'alive for very long if he does obtain release. Truthfully? I am shocked he has remained alive this long.

16 Likes

The proof is in the pudding. Obama could have, should have acted on big ideas but look what happened - he gave us Republican control and ultimately Trump. The Democrats under Biden might take some positive action but big ideas are not on the menu.

8 Likes

“Recurring survival checks, union jobs that pay a living wage, guaranteed healthcare, racial justice, voting rights, immigration reform, climate action, reproductive justice, education, and much more.”

Er, which planet is this now?

7 Likes

What were you saying about no prosecution for dump?

~https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/05/james-comey-donald-trump-prosecuted-saving-justice-new-book

1 Like