Home | About | Donate

Establishment Democrats Missing the Moment – And the Point

Sanders wants campaign finance reform-these “black leaders” supporting Clinton,and the establishment leaders in the democratic party Pelosi to Barbara Boxer don’t want real reform. And by supporting Clinton they are giving working people and those on the bottom the finger. How can any democrat not support healthcare as a right? How can any democrat not support an almost living wage of $15 hr.--------I will not be supporting any candidate who can’t support these two fundamental basic issues. This is what makes Sanders a leader----establishing clear lines of what he stands for.

I am so sick of listening to all this I feel your pain crap while we get screwed! And Bill Clinton is the Mr. I feel your pain -------

Another excellent analysis. Thanks, John Atcheson, thanks Common Dreams. Superb election coverage.

No, but that would disqualify everyone running except Sanders, and almost everyone who ever ran, or wanted to.

thank you!

Complex issues, but voting choices almost always come down to economic issues. Clinton/Gore targeted the poor. In Gore vs. Bush, the poor (and those who get why unrelieved poverty matters) voted third party or withheld their votes, and the middle class picked Bush. Twice. The poor, etc., overwhelmingly voted for Obama on the chance that he could launch a legitimate discussion about our poverty crisis. He raised the issue a few time, liberals aren’t interested, and Democrats in Congress only worsened conditions for many of the poor.

We have a poverty crisis. Not everyone is able to work (health, etc.) and there aren’t jobs for all. The US shipped out a huge number of jobs since the 1980s, ended actual welfare in the 1990s. We haven’t even begun the discussion necessary to rebuild the economy/nation. We’ve spent the years of yet another administration merely calling for jobs, waiting for the trickle-down fairy to do her magic. No matter how the election turns out, conditions won’t improve for the poor.

How can any Democrat approve of denying the most basic human rights of food and shelter to the jobless poor, and many of the unemployable (the ill, etc.)? That’s what we do, and even liberals have been OK with this.

Who is calling for equality? Or, how do you define equality? How would you apply this to the jobless poor, and many of the unemployable? No question, the liberal discussion has been about the inequality between the middle class and rich, but Americans have been entirely comfortable with the inequality between the poor and middle class.