Home | About | Donate

EU Toughens Against TTIP as Top German Lawmaker Blasts Anti-Democratic Deal

EU Toughens Against TTIP as Top German Lawmaker Blasts Anti-Democratic Deal

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Adding yet another voice to the growing chorus of European activists and government officials who oppose the TransAtlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) between the U.S. and EU, the president of the German Bundestag, or parliament, has threatened to vote against the so-called "trade" agreement due to its lack of transparency and democratic legitimacy.

I understand, that the proposed TTIP is in the interest of the large international corporations, which want a free reign to pursue their interests. What I do not understand is who the patsies are, who are playing their game and what the motivates these "representatives of various governments" to negotiate their own governments' powers away and keep their countries' legislators from knowing any details.

There is clearly something deep and dark going on! "PARTNERSHIP" MY FOOT!

ANSWER: The 1%'s purchase of the US Government during the past 40 years has been so successful and their wealth has compounded to the point that they are buying governments in every nation having a potential for a good return on their investment.

Corporate friendly is a crass under statement. If it was corporate friendly only, then democracy would still be intact. However, since democracy is in tatters, the description really should read; "Fascist Friendly Trade Pact". This is not hyperbolic- just an accurate description of the trade dealings to date.

this might just be a bunch of posturing. it was this same EU parliament that just crap-canned net neutrality in service of large telecom firms in spite of popular opposition.

i can't see, frankly, how EU governments don't pass it. This is the holy grail for corporate power, with years of painstaking work and effort going into this finished project, and one would have to assume that political retribution from the corporate state would have to be swift and severe.

if they do stop it, however, it would be a major blow to a rampaging capitalism.

I have wondered if it could be legislatively practical to draft a bill defining "crimes against democracy" to include any effort to have congress/parliament/etc fast-track or approve treaties that have been keep secret. The secrecy aspect of it is so outrageous that sometimes I feel like I'm in the middle of some sort of dystopian nightmare.

What impresses the hell outa' me is that with all the cyber hacks and security leaks, the TTIP was secretly negotiated with dozens of governments and corporations globally, almost over almost a decade time, yet other than a few pages, it's been totally leak proof. That indicates the total solidarity, power and corruption of the 1%.

easy fix is to just have a system where all treaty documents are publicly accessible on a govt website, for example.

i think there's a large consensus that any trade deal drafted with this level of longstanding secrecy has to be egregiously unpopular.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If it is patsies you want you need look no further than the White House for the last four or even five administrations and the current House and Senate. A glance at the Supreme court would also serve you well. As for the sources for this fiscal and constitutional attack on our nations sovereignty I would suggest Wall Street for suspects. The partnership part comes in with the multinational corporations of the various nations colluding to divide the spoils.

It feels like that because we are,

I agree. This opposition smells a bit!!

If this was true, why aren't the germans speaking english??
I do hope we are able to thwart the big machine.

You put it so well. Thanks

The TTIP is a very clear sign that a world wide revolution must take place to insure that we do not find ourselves at the mercy of economic fascism. This time the fascists will not have a face like Hitler's or Bushes. The face of the new fascist order will be the banks and the corporations who have spent billions brainwashing the world into believing that they are friendly. They are evil and are hungry for complete domination of every aspect of our lives including legalizing killing people with their products like tobacco, toxic agriculture and fossil fuels.

In their dreamworld any country that tries to prevent them from killing their citizen/consumers with their products can be sued not for actual loss of profits but 'imagined' loss of profits.

The trials will take place at an international court and the decisions will be enforced by an international tribunal owned and controlled by them. With a judgment in place the multinational corporations will proceed to seize assets and impoverish whole nations. Their hope is that the threat of lawsuit will force countries to bend to their will. Anyone wonder where the former Nazis are that the US brought to America after the war had ended. They are working at Wall Street and have infiltrated the US government.

Prepare to defend yourselves.

Funnily enough, a good number of Germans speak English as a second language and some speak it better than the English. And Volkeswagon bought Roll-Royce.

However, it was the Battle of Britain followed by Stalingrad, not Pearl Harbour, that stopped the world from speaking German.

well said.