Home | About | Donate

European Groups Expose 'Terrifying Extent of Corporate Grab' Within TTIP

European Groups Expose 'Terrifying Extent of Corporate Grab' Within TTIP

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Even with global inequality at historic highs and corporate tax evasion in the public spotlight, a new report out Monday shows how a so-called free trade deal between the U.S. and European Union could further threaten tax justice, hampering governments' ability to ensure that critical public services are well funded or to pursue progressive tax practices.

It can't be over-emphasized that this, as bad as it is, is just about the tax portion of these "trade deals." This doesn't even count such other aberrations as the ability to sue for the loss of "expected profits."

The power grab here is of seismic proportions. Hard to believe, actually.

While everyone is worrying about Iran, ISIS, Israel/Palestine, China etc etc, what we really need to be worried about is corporations. They are CLEARLY waging war on people. The only people who aren't effected negatively by these so called trade deals and other corporate actions are the very rich. MOST people, 99% of us, will be powerless if they get their way and they already very nearly have.

Anyone have any idea what the solution is?

After Obama's endorsement of the TPP, I would not be surprised if he named another SCOTUS con.

IF Hillary's primary election performance continues in its downward spiral, a SCOTUS appointment would be a way for her to save face and would probably be the most centrist an appointment that we could expect from Obama when you consider the boatloads of center-right (or worse) appointees that comprise his legacy.

You are so right. And it's everywhere you turn. TransCanada is suing the U.S. for loss of projected profits. As if that were somehow as important is reducing the carbon in the atmosphere! Unreal!

The implications of ISDSs - boggling! The very words - Investor-State Dispute Settlement - seem to indicate that investors now have status on a par with states. You have to stop and think about that for a minute (or at least I sure did). First the bastards took all the money, and now they're being set up with the power to check, and collect fines from, nations? Sez who?

Short answer: corporate power is going to have to be taken down.

Long-term, boring, law nerd answer: "Corporate Personhood" has got to go! (There's a wealth of info on that at POCLAD.)

Shorter term, Citizens United is an obvious target.

Shortest term: Bernie!

No "Hope" crushed is a surprise with him anymore.

This year he wraps up, for all practical purposes, the 36th year of the Reagan Administration.

¡No más!

Edit: That was actually a reply to natureboy. Sorry.

Thank you for the link, I've just subscribed and will be diving a bit deeper into it!

The future the corporations have designed for us is frightening, especially since it includes stripping ordinary people of all rights and privileges. However, it's important to remember we are NOT THERE YET. We have an opportunity, perhaps our last, to change the direction our society (and planet) is headed in. If we pass up the opportunity in favor of 'incremental, practical progress' we might as well shift our attention to adapting to the coming climate and economic crises.

"Anyone have any idea what the solution is?" Actually--there are things you can do--just depends on your will.

You can hook up with one or more of the many nationwide groups working to block these "trade" deals. Just a few: Flush the TPP, Citizens Trade Campaign, Public Citizen's Global Trade Watch, People Demanding Action, Communications Workers of America, the Sierra Club, more...

Even if you don't have time to get involved with the organizing part, you can show up for the actions that take place around the country. This week, Congress is "in district" to meet with constituents. Many people are getting together with their members of Congress to covey their opposition to the TPP and leave supporting documents. The goal is to keep applying pressure on elected officials so they'll think twice before voting for the TPP during an election year.

The other thing is to keep talking/writing about the TPP. The virtual blackout by mainstream media has effectively left the public in the dark about the threats from the deal. The recent $15 billion suit by TransCanada against over Obama's rejection of the KeystoneXL Pipeline called attention to the the NAFTA's Investor-State Dispute Settlement provision (ISDS). ISDS is even expanded under the TPP. That may have been why POTUS barely mentioned the "trade" agreement during his State of the Union Address.

More and more people are waking to the threats from the TPP. They just need the will to take action.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

That quote from the Rockefeller 1991 Bilderberg meeting is chilling. Egregious is an understatement. Do you have a official source for it? It needs to be publicised more, quoted whenever possible, stated evidence that what we see around us is not just the product of my (and others) paranoid imagination as many people would have it.

I just researched it on the web and found there is some controversy around the validity of said quote, some claiming it is a mere satirical invention. Yet then the question becomes, is this in itself some sort of cover up after the fact, and as down that way lies madness, I think I'll just keep an open mind for now.

Like I said, I don't dismiss it and will keep an open mind, yet would like to see some substantial evidence. When the links researching it I followed start taking me to people going on about how the 'the elders of zion' assassinated Lincoln and JFK and the urgent need to keep an arsenal of weapons under our beds, I start to zone out a bit.

I agree, but it's so hard to get an great public reaction when TTP/TTIP is barely mentioned in the MSM particularly in the USA, and when it is, only in glowing terms about how it will suppoosedly increase economic prosperity, all bullshit of course. I signed the EU petition against it which is now up to 3 million, yet even that seems not to be getting much media attention. On the other hand, I was informed by BBC only this very morning how Adele had 'techincal problems' as she performed at the grammies last night and how Irish Rugby player Sean O'Brien has been ruled out of the Six Nations clash with England.

Public Citizen/Global Trade Watch is great. Lori Walkach is terrific voice against TPP.

Check out citizen.org/tpp.

Why is Obama doing this? What iT will damage is obvious? Is he that willing to sell out the middle class for a better retirement as if ex-presidents didn’t get enough from us already?

That the World's legislative and executive bodies are actually considering these "trade" deals are ample demonstration of their corruption. It hasn't been all that long since these grabs at control of our respective governments would have been just another corporatist’s wet dream.
This power grab for the control of the planet's governing bodies is every bit as dangerous as the one the Axis powers began in the 1930s and culminated with the treaty signed in Tokyo harbor on September second 1945. Minor skirmishes aside this has been a subtle and continuous pressure ever since. Along with Climate Change these traitorous and profit driven efforts comprise the greatest threats the race of man has ever faced and, if allowed, one crisis will feed the other.
Anyone who doesn't recognize these truths is, by definition, a fool.

I think he, like Clinton has actually bought and drunk the Kool-aid. His address on the subject passed my BS meter and for a moment I pondered on his being correct. On this his hook shot so far off the fairway he will need the elephants around him to get back in the game. I can no longer support him but similar to the Shrub he is way off the mark. Both have made seriously deluded decisions.

While you're keeping your open mind, perhaps you might spend some time placing the comment in context with the direction America and the world are headed? Look at where the previous trade deals have taken us; look at the improvements it has brought to working class Americans, those living in poverty, childhood nutrition. Consider what difference the TPP will make. Look up the text of the proposed trade deal and question why the various clauses are needed, and how they will improve the lives of individuals.

Yeah, I've done all that, that's why I'm 100% against it.

Which seems more likely to you:

The conspiracy theory is just some kook's idea?

The conspiracy theory seems to fit the general flow of history/current events over the last 35 years?

The vested interests that clearly profit from the issues at hand have good reason for using surrogates to promote a disinformation campaign to attach the evidence in hand to the "Elders of Zion" and other BS you came across, in order to get you to zone out and wait for more evidence to suddenly appear?

You want to believe the first? Have yourself a good life.