Home | About | Donate

Even Anti-War Progressives Should Care About the Trans Military Ban

Even Anti-War Progressives Should Care About the Trans Military Ban

Nicole Vanderheiden

On January 22, the U.S. Supreme Court reversed two injunctions against President Donald Trump’s proposed policy banning transgender Americans from serving in the U.S. military, making way for the implementation of parts of the policy in the near future, while ongoing legal challenges play out.

Part of the odd bedfellows unity of this conundrum is that it holds up a lens on something we ALL suffer from: the enforced/imposed deep cave channel of EXCLUSION of such a broad swath of life as to be almost inconceivable to folks whose lives are dedicated to the “American Dream”.

No small part of that “dream” demands a psyche twisting tunnel vision focus normalizing “externalized costs” to a deeply distorted notion of a ‘natural’ state of being. Nothing could be further from the truth. Dig into that and it is painfully obvious why so much of western “civilization” is and has been blind to the FACT that it is PREMISED ON destroying life in order to “live” it.

Quite a variety of vision clearing eye rinses are being brought to light these days and the younger folks need every kind of support we can muster.

1 Like

It does bother me. And I am very anti-war. But when we say only some people are acceptable for anything and that certain people are unacceptable, then we are not a free and equal society. Everyone has the right to choose what they wish to be. And if they choose a military life, than that is their right.
I can disagree with the choice, but I can’t disagree with them making the choice. That is freedom. That is democracy. That was said almost 200 yrs ago, I’ll defend your right. And I mean it. We are in this together. And we all have rights or none of us really do. That is the way rights work. All for one and one for all.

1 Like

What the whole discussion makes clear is that military service offers valued conditions and opportunities. We who are antiwar need to work against that value paradigm, not against those who exploit it.