Home | About | Donate

Even as 500,000 March in Madrid, Greta Thunberg Warns Climate Movement Has 'Achieved Nothing' Until Emissions Fall

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/06/even-500000-march-madrid-greta-thunberg-warns-climate-movement-has-achieved-nothing

4 Likes

She’s right of course. But what with the “Ok, boomer” attitude, my comeback has been, “Well, what have you actually accomplished besides skipping school?” Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for their protest and support them 100%. I’m just saying, the younger folks can check the attitude until they have some results. Protesting is great but until there’s real change, I don’t understand the smugness. Of course, when I was young, we berated the older generations, too. It comes with being young. We protested, too. With mixed results. As I look back, what was it we actually accomplished? I thought American would blossom after the 60s. Instead it soured until, now, it is all but rotten. Oh yeah, I wonder what generation it was that started the whole environmental awareness thing? And who it was that actually did the baseline scientific research on global warming. The clue is “Ok, boomer.”

5 Likes

I understand your frustration.

But the fact remains, TPTB don’t shift with generations.
They stay the same – an unholy alliance of government and capital.

What has shifted is the level of desperation we now face. Climate chaos will crash the whole system.

7 Likes

and unholy and frequently inherited alliance… Another reason it doesn’t change.

3 Likes

On this climate topic, this bears mentioning.

I would conservatively estimate that 25% of our (fledgling) XR chapter here are doomers (me included).
And that our meetings reserve space for feeling shitty and saying so about our prospects.
I agree with Greta – nothing accomplished. But I also agree with Greta that I’ll fight anyway.

8 Likes

Greta is absolutely right, the mass demonstrations have not altered the course charted by corrupt and ignorant politicians that serve big-money, fossil-fuel and related interests, control and domination of government by wealth and vulture capitalism directing the course of life on Earth - and the mass media that is supposed to inform the public honestly and fully, owned by the same interests, does its freakin job, nothing of significant consequence is likely to change

Until money is dethroned from controlling our direction and replaced by science and concern for the Common Good rather than money and greed, little of great meaning is likely to change.

The myopic mindset of wealth as the prime motivating factor of politicians, governments, legislation and public policy must be totally changed, and that will take a serious natural demonstration/disaster (more than already apparent to scientists) to scare the shite out of the moron’s that run the world, that the mechanisms sustaining life on Earth are at serious risk of collapse, money takes a back seat to science and corruption of government is smashed - only then will there perhaps be some change - don’t hold your breath.

The barn door is open, the ship sailed, train left the station, the genie out of the bottle, and the Earths systems and delicate balance still deteriorate exponentially while morons quibble and dither and lie, in their extremist, “religious” stupidity…

15 Likes

Time for a global, total, rolling, non cooperation which will include sit-ins and boycotts. Hit the profligate capitalists where it hurts.That our youth should lead this makes sense as they are the inheritors of the destruction caused by too many elders and governments.

This is an emergency–let’s do it.

8 Likes

OK Doomer. (Is that a thing?)

BTW: the “OK Boomer” line never bugs me. It’s a variant of “Don’t trust anyone over 30,” which I totally got when I was young. We are, after all, supposed to be the adults (or even elders).

4 Likes

It’s a thing now.

And I feel the same way about “okay, Boomer.”

i did not like “Don’t trust anyone over 30” when i was a teenager, for the same reason, it paints with too broad a brush and it’s lazy.

4 Likes

My oh my! There’s even a Wikipedia entry for “doomer”! I feel much more represented by the label “doomer” than “boomer” (although I’m a left-wing doomer and not a right-wing doomer, the latter being those white supremacists feeling doomed by “replacement”). Frankly, I feel like my whole adult life my environmental perspectives have been met consistently with a shrug and a dismissive, “OK Doomer.” It’s lonely being a doomer, just like it says on Wikipedia.

2 Likes

All you say is true. When I say “I got it when I was young” I meant that I recognized the message in the line that the fervor and idealistic certainty of young adulthood could and probably would fade into something like world-weary, fatalistic pragmatism in middle age. I could easily argue that a vast number of Boomers did exactly that, and that’s part of the reason we’re in the mess we’re in now. When I hear “OK Boomer,” it’s a reminder of the speaker’s youthful skepticism, which is natural, generally warranted, and leaves me unperturbed.

1 Like

Hi Emphyrio:
Maybe it will take a giant hurricane to devastate D.C. before many of the elected realize what a mess that EVERYONE on the planet is in. So much of the environment , everywhere in the world has been destroyed and diminished----that maybe the next workable society will be small and local and shared by all the locals. I am so impressed that 500,00 marched in Madrid-----and so sorry that major media doesn’t seem to care.

3 Likes

I don’t want to wait for the world to limit emissions. I will do so on my own. I pay a personal carbon tax to carbonfund.org that brings my carbon footprint to zero. Put your cynicism aside. Such offset projects are checked and double checked by NRDC, Nature Conservancy, etc.

If everyone who wrings their hands over climate were to do as I do, it would take a HUGE bite out of our emissions by funding clean energy, forests, and many other programs that happen only because we pay a carbon tax for the carbon our lifestyles create.

1 Like

…yes, hoaxes and hustles rarely accomplish anything except to separate the mark from their cash. Anyone who buys into the Climate Change Crap is either an idiot, not old enough to know better, or is an agent of the hoax. If you are attempting to demean those of us who know what’s up with The Climate Change Hoax, you’ve already lost your case. We know they have been openly trying scare us into global governance for at least 60 years. They are 0-41 in their dire predictions over the decades. Global Cooling …changed to Global Warming…which morphed to Climate Change based upon…“excess carbon”…a theory which has now fallen apart. The IPCC admits to manipulating their records and readings, such as eliminating previous warming periods in the past data, to make it look like current temperatures are drastically different. We know that NASA has had to admit that seas are not rising, and that NASA & NOAA had to admit to fabricating previous…“evidence”. We know they placed their monitoring stations in urban heat sinks of concrete and asphalt…and and we know they even placed monitoring stations on airport runways in order to distort the data. Even with that, they still cannot prove any of their theory. Dr. Mann, the infamous author of The carbon…“Hockey Stick Study”…has lost two court case because he could not provide the supporting data for his hockey stick conclusions. Additionally, there is no way the carbon theory can be accurate, as science has no idea how may underseas volcanoes exist, or their eruption rates and carbon contribution. Therefore it is impossible to get a baseline for natural carbon…the element that allows for life on the planet. But the real evidence that it is all a fraud, is the morphing of carbon into a trade-able commodity. If carbon were so deadly, everyone would simply seek to eliminate it, or reduce it as much as possible. But The Elite have created Carbon Trading Desks, and have turned carbon into a financial instrument. Why would they do that if carbon is so bad? It’s because they want a One-World, New World Government…and a new World Reserve Currency. They want to use carbon as the basis for their new currency, and use it to transfer wealth from 1st world to 3rd world countries, passing that cash through The IPCC and Central Banks, so they can skim what they want.
RJ O’Guillory

1 Like

Let me cut your post down to size to help the other commenters here:

Even though entire islands have been swallowed up, I’m here to tell you sea level rise is a hoax.
Also, it takes me a very long paragraph to tell you I’m stupid.

Okay, let’s move along…

8 Likes

Gosh, RJ, until you came along, I almost believed in science! With your continued guidance and a first-class tin foil hat, I might one day achieve truly impenetrable willful ignorance like yours.

5 Likes

Donald Trump is a traitor. Those who voted for him, must defend him or in part be blamed for his treachery. Donald Trump is the Hitler of our time. He cares nothing about anyone who won’t give him the straight arm Nazi salute and shout for all to hear, Heil Trumpler!

1 Like

We have already passed the point of no return.And, we are totally unprepared for the disaster that is coming our way

5 Likes

Greta is very focused & serious, & she walks the talk. She will be held in as great esteem by this generation as Gandhi & MLK were by previous generations.

1 Like