Home | About | Donate

Even Conservative US Court Knows Texas Voter ID Laws are 'Affront to Democracy'

Even Conservative US Court Knows Texas Voter ID Laws are 'Affront to Democracy'

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that Texas's controversial voter ID law is discriminatory and violates Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act.

ThinkProgress describes it as "a stunning, unexpected decision from one of the most conservative federal appeals courts in the country," the New Orleans-based 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Texas will stop at nothing to disenfranchise those pesky "Mexicans" (and all dark-skinned voters). If they cannot register, they cannot vote. And if they do manage to get registered, what is to prevent the state from changing the polling places at the last minute or have heavily armed SWAT teams "guarding" the roads to and the polling places, too in order to intimidate prospective voters of color? The Texas lawmakers operate from a place of total fear of the "other" not unlike any number of states in the South along with the states with T-bag governators and legislatures (Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maine for example))

""A federal judge declared the law unconstitutional and found that more than 600,000 registered Texas voters did not have the kinds of IDs required by the new law.""

Nevermind needing an ID to vote. I get asked for one every time i buy a sixpack of Coronas. I guess "more than 600,000 registered Texas voters" ain't buying any beer either.

Voting manipulations and corruption in the US are out of control (by the people) over the top - we don't even have a national holiday for Election Day!
Like poll-taxes, voter ID laws, openly partisan gerrymandering, corrupting influence of big-money equated to "free-speech", two parties dominated by powerful factions, voter registration hurdles adversely affecting the poor primarily, easily manipulated voting machines, and voting itself (numbers of sites, machines, etc) controlled by partisan agents for one or the other party, all make a mockery of fair "democratic" voting and honest representation Of, By and For The People..........