Home | About | Donate

'Every City Council Should Follow Suit': Portland, Oregon Becomes First US City to Ban Corporate Use of Facial Recognition Surveillance

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/10/every-city-council-should-follow-suit-portland-oregon-becomes-first-us-city-ban

Former NSA Director Gen. Keith Alexander’s classic quip when discussing what information should be stored, “collect it all”, showed the dark corners of the bureaucratic mindset on a power trip. Portland has rightly checked this impulse. Good on them!

Hope this is just the beginning. Thanks Portland!

Alexander just joined the Board at Amazon. No surprise there.

1 Like

I’ll be sure to order Mein Kampf and The Communist Manifesto at the same time to screw with his head! (Too bad I already have them in my library.)

If they are being discovered just now, then the damage has been done. They already have what they need and likely just want to be able to continue.
Watch out for officials planting evidence. Mock-ups of your face in bad places. Keep a diary of where you go so nobody can claim otherwise.
I think I watch too many TV shows.

I saw no penalties for their use in the story, I hope that was the authors oversite, and not the city of Portland’s. Severe punishments are needed for those that break this law, or you can bet the lawless police will laugh at such an ordinance with no teeth.