Home | About | Donate

"Every Healthcare Worker Is at Risk": A Physician Speaks Out on the Protective Equipment Shortage

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/03/24/every-healthcare-worker-risk-physician-speaks-out-protective-equipment-shortage

This is what three years of gutting US public health infrastructure and the state department look like.

4 Likes

Hi raydelcamino:
“First they came .” … for the health care workers—well you now how that saying goes.

I guess I need to update it though-----and when COVID 19 came for America-----there was no one left to speak up…

This crisis has exposed our healthcare system for what it is, a 3rd world system for the 99%, and should prove to the upper middle class, of doctors and lawyers that like it or not, they are part of this system.
This is what 40+ years of neoliberalism looks like.

2 Likes

Travelling in Latin America early this month I witnessed third world nations being more proactive and better equipped than the US. Upon Saint Ron’s 1981 ascension to the throne it became apparent that turning the US into a third world nation became the US gubmit’s highest priority. COVID-19 confirms that mission has been accomplished.

1 Like

I’m not excusing our Tyrannical Adolescent in Chief, but all of our hospitals should have been prepared for a pandemic. They certainly pay their CEOs enough to have had plenty of basic protective gear and other emergency equipment in storage.

2 Likes

The U.S. is undoubtedly a third world country.

Russia is producing 1.2 million disposable masks per day and can ramp to 1.5 million, and shipped several million masks to China in February. In March, China had ramped up its production to where it offered the EU 2 million masks and 50.000 coronavirus testing kits. China sent 14.5 tons of medical supplies to Iran and 30 tons of medical supplies, including masks and respirators, plus a team of nine Chinese medical staff to Italy. Russia sent 50,000 coronavirus testing kits to Iran and, last week, sent nine military cargo planes to Italy, carrying medical supplies and 100 medical personnel trained in treating virus infections and stopping pandemics.

What has the U.S. done?

Well, McConnell has made it abundantly clear that “The Market” is his top priority, since that’s where much of his and his Congressional colleagues’ investments lie. So, “The Market” is where our Congressional bloodsucking parasites will direct our taxpayer dollars.

The coronavirus can wait.

3 Likes

Unfortunately they are too busy making sure the business folk who run the hospitals have beautiful lounges, and huge paychecks. Who cares what the medical staff thinks, and the patients are just there to exploit.

1 Like