Home | About | Donate

‘Every War Is a War Against Children’

‘Every War Is a War Against Children’

Kathy Kelly

At 9:30 in the morning of March 26, the start of the fifth year of the Saudi-led coalition war against Yemen, the entrance to a rural hospital in the northwest part of the country was teeming as patients waited to be seen and employees arrived at work. Suddenly, missiles from an airstrike hit the hospital, killing seven people, four of them children.

2 Likes

I’ve said this in the past. Every war is a war against children. We bomb their homes and schools and hospitals and bridges and roads. We kill their mommies and daddies and brothers and sisters. We destroy their peace.

7 Likes

God bless Kathy Kelly. I’m goddam glad to see her & Medea around here! The world would be an infinitely meaner place without, now and then, a conclusive disproof of the idea that everyone’s on the take, such as Kelly’s life work. Some of us are here on Earth to enjoy ourselves with our friends, goddammit, and joy is squashed by subjugation, on either end. Anyways, I love you, Kathy, if that matters to anyone.

Now we see clearly legible signs of trouble ahead for the children. Here in the Bay Area, where the air fills with smoke for weeks on end, year after year, parents have to figure out how much of any of this they can possibly open up with – to their children. Every war is against every child, because nothing accelerates anthropogenic ecological catastrophe with so meaninglessly lethal a carbon footprint, as warfare. The fact that our sovereigns won’t tell us the carbon footprint of warfare speaks volumes on the state of our so-called democracy.

My deeper worry is that, even if we had a democracy, our children would still be in big trouble. Apparently the grown-ups never grew up enough to handle the interpersonal challenges which come with ecological collapse, by and large. Not enough to acknowledge that, given the debt adults have drawn by appropriating their children’s most precious right – their right to a future – we now owe children more than all we can give. Keep eating the future, scattering crumbs for the little ones, and the outcome is easy to foresee.

The test of sincere concern for children is, first and foremost, the urgency of stopping fossil fuel extraction, the fundamental crime of ecocide. All the inconveniences of doing without additional extraction have to be measured against that theft of a future for children.

5 Likes

The Cabal in DC care nothing for the children, only the money that changes hands when we hear the children cry.

1 Like

The longer I am held as a financial hostage by these war mongers and forced to bear witness to the endless violence committed IN MY NAME against innocent, defenseless babies, the easier it is to accept my inevitable departure from this global torture chamber. Fuck you, humanity.

1 Like

When lions in the wild kill their own cubs, it is, supposedly, to force the lioness back into readiness to mate. When humanity does it, it is, at best, that they, the children, simply got in the way. At worst, it’s a wanton act of infanticide to make a political point and/or to cause maximum suffering to other humans. Nature has it’s ways and I don’t pretend to understand them all but I’ll be damned if I can even begin to understand the evil in the minds of some humans or how to confront it.

3 Likes

I just stumbled upon an interesting etymology of that one, in a british history I’m reading. The wiki account (my emphasis):

There is a theory that the term took on its present meaning from a group of ministers formed in 1668 - the “Cabal ministry” of King Charles II of England. Members included Sir Thomas Clifford, Lord Arlington, the Duke of Buckingham, Lord Ashley, and Lord Lauderdale, whose initial letters coincidentally spelled CABAL, and who were the signatories of the Secret Treaty of Dover that allied England to France in a prospective war against the Netherlands. The theory that the word originated as an acronym from the names of the group of ministers is a folk etymology, although the coincidence was noted at the time and could possibly have popularized its use.

That treaty of Dover was secret for a good reason: Charles II and his CABAL cabinet pretty much humbled England at the fancy feet of Louis XIV in that treaty (and some money changed hands, they say).

1 Like

Related to this story … see CODEPINKS Ranking of 2020 Presidential Candidates on War, Peace…

2 Likes

Trantorian,

I understand the need to separate oneself from the corruption within the system that pretends to govern us.

I believe the world knows that only a minority in this country are behind the mindless manipulation of the agencies with our government, to their own ends.

You and I both know that we are essentially not responsible for the horrors being committed by these animals posing as humans.

In the future, direct your disgust at those that deserve it, not at humanity which these individuals no longer represent.

1 Like

Very well said and felt, Aleph Null. I, too, love Kathy Kelly and her work with the children and their mothers, of Afghanistan presently. She spoke at our Peace group in Bethlehem, PA last year, and now I gladly donate to her organization. I am so glad there are gutsy passionate and strong women like her, and Medea, and AOC (a new generation!) and Barbara Lee, et al. And good old Howard Zinn, and Ralph Nader, and Bernie, bless them. Our peeps who keep on and inspire us…

1 Like

I’ve seen Medea in person, out here. I never had the honor of seeing my hero Kathy, but it feels like I’ve known her all my life. I wish AOC had included a demand like ending warfare in the GND – or at the very least (it wouldn’t cost a thing) transparency on military carbon emissions. Denied that, it’s hard to maintain more than a sham of democracy. If we knew how much warfare injures the Earth, my goodness, we might have to put an end to it altogether.

Ever wonder why this angel of peace has been blacklisted from the war reporting by our U.S. corporate, news media? Because of articles like this, from Kathy Kelly!

1 Like

In the cold calculating brutal history of mankind, attention has at times been paid to the population levels of male versus female. Your post reminded me of an article I read around 2002. It remarked on the high ratio of males versus females in the Arabian peninsula, speculating that this would facilitate this area were they to go to war. Back at that time, it sounded like an awfully sick excuse to begin a preemptive strike against perceived war preparedness.

1 Like

I also read somewhere a long while back,(I wish I could remember where), that, following major wars, the birthdate among males goes up. Sounds rather sexist in this day and age, though.

There are countries with skewed sex distributions today. War plays a part, with many men killed, of the next generation’s choices. Earnings oppoortuntities and cultural marriage practices also play a part.

1 Like

Wow. At least eight websites are running this article in the last two days! Whoever started it, I’m happy to see it repeated!

1 Like

We are a primitive race of beings in the grand scheme of things ,evolution has been slow on this planet for a long time now.
I think we are about to take a jump up the spiral of conciousness.
We as humans have the understanding of consequence so conciousness considers consequence .
We have reached the point made by Barbara Ford Max Hubbard in her brilliant book Conscious Evolution.
We get to decide ; we get to choose .

1 Like

With instantaneous communication with others around the world now a reality I can’t help but believe that this should give a boost to the process of our collective enlightenment. One can hope! Protecting a free and open internet is so important now for people to come to grasp the closeness of the connection we have to each other and the planet. What one does affects the other. Compassion and empathy must become paramount and overcome fear and distrust. I hope we have enough time.
Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks.