Home | About | Donate

'Everybody Has the Right to Live': The Visionary Budget at the Heart of Our Moral Uprising

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/17/everybody-has-right-live-visionary-budget-heart-our-moral-uprising

3 Likes

We live in this country (USA…) largely under the memory of a frontier time. There is no more frontier. Our morals and practicalities need to acknowledge that fact. You could have sent me out into the wilderness two hundred years ago and I might or might not have thrived. I would have gladly taken that bargain. That option is off of the table now. It time for realistic compassion. My personal take on the matter is to bolster education. Someone who will beat me with genuine ideas will also not see me kicked to the curb…

1 Like

thoughts from a previous post on mobilizing the poor:

Feb 27

But can the low income even be organized, organize themselves, into a movement that makes demands, including voting, you ask. A fair, crucial question, Guitman. Let’s try to think of an example or model of a poor people’s movement.

Funny thing - I’ve studied the Civil Rights movement in past, but not through the specific lens of the economic range of its mass base - but I’ll guess it swept up a wide range of southern blacks, from middle class to what I have called the “low income” (meant not just as a euphemism for a government definition of poor, but a range of those who struggle economically).

MLK turned to mobilizing the poor on behalf of “economic justice” at the end of his life, though some criticized its goals as “too amorphous” (see link) in contrast with the concrete and particular goals of the Civil Rights movement (desegregation, voting rights, obviously, with the church its organizational center.)

The Reverend Barber’s Poor People’s Movement is trying to carry forward MLK’s last ideas. I’d say mobilizing, educating, enfranchising the low income and outright poor will have a far better chance if yoked to a specific goal like healthcare - particularly if they have physically come together into a mass (health fairs - which they do come together for, and for days at a time ) to satisfy a vital need that speakers can connect to voting and demanding.

1 Like

Everyone should read that kid’s story ," Stone Soup," It actually shows how everyone by adding just a little bit, can fill up a whole pot, so that everyone shares together. : )

1 Like

True progressives who strive to birth democracy, justice and equality are often told, “our vision was larger than our reach”.
Let it be so! This vicious political rhetoric must be recognized and dismantled at every appearance. It is a sword that mows down hope and truth perpetuating violence and poverty in its aggressive deception.
This movement performs some great synthetic thinking that attempts to address and rectify the systemic corruption that has inhumanely impoverished so many millions unnecessarily - for so long! The article rightly points out that the incrementalism that purports to accomplish progress is in fact a lie. Incrementalism will not remedy corrupted state structures unamenable to democratic control. Incrementalism must be replaced with a social democracy that takes power away from corporations and the rich and authentically returns it to the people.
Don’t buy the lies of the long established corrupt tradition that constantly pretends it is patriotic, democratic and, wait for it, making ‘progress’.

1 Like