Home | About | Donate

Everyday War Crimes: Israeli PM Netanyahu Gets Covid Vaccine, Squatters Get Vaccine, But Not Occupied Palestinians

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/12/20/everyday-war-crimes-israeli-pm-netanyahu-gets-covid-vaccine-squatters-get-vaccine

2 Likes

Israeli apartheid, racism, segregationism, colonialism – call it what you will, amounts to genocide. The fascistic actions of Netanyahu and Zionism make Jewish people look hypocritical when they speak of persecution at the hands of the Nazis. Palestinian people have a right to exist just as much as Israelis do. Support the Palestinian people and anti-Zionist but not anti-Semitic BDS campaigns.

2 Likes

As with illiberal democracy, surveillance technology - Israel leads the way.

1 Like

Hi oldman:

But a BDS campaigned worked to change South Africa. Why do you think that a BDS campaign would not work for the nation and People of Palestine?

5 Likes

Is there some good reason we support all this malevolence? If so, what is it?

No good reason, just AIPAC’s corrupting influence on our nations’ politics.

3 Likes

“Is there some good reason we support all this malevolence? If so, what is it?”

Not a good - nor the only- reason, but, as I’ve suggested at different times, a Republican tactic to get a largely Democratic Jewish vote.

Whether - despite a US cottage industry of Israel apologists - that will work with younger generations of American Jews is an open question:

h ttps://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/opinion/sunday/israeli-jews-american-jews-divide.html

1 Like

Yes. They seem intent on turning the ugly old fabrication “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion” into a script, defining who they are and what they do. Certainly their arrogant control (this kind of influence is rightly “control”) over the USA, congress, free speech, academia and other places, looks too much like the fantasized fictional global control of the “Protocols… .”

There certainly is a divide and it includes the Jews of the type I grew up believing were heroic defenders of human rights, only to be disillusioned much later.
Really dispiriting was a video I just watched in which Abby Martin interviewed people on the street in Israel, both Israelis and some US visitors and residents. Deep brain washing with the same kind of arguments you could see in US history toward our indigenous peoples. You could tell they have no other reference they will even consider. Young people and others. But not encouraging.
My first awareness of Israel was as a result of WWII and the holocaust. I was totally unaware of Palestinians. Ben Gurion was a Jewish saint (I was Roman Catholic). Israel was an empty place to which Jews brought development and progress. The land belonged to Jews because, God.
Well, the ugliness of Israel and Jewish support for what is a genocide justified by another genocide, long ago woke me up. But it took time and onion-peel revelations, repeatedly, over the years. The young people Abby Martin interviewed haven’t even begun that journey.
One old man she tried to interview said the same as he scurried away, not wanting more interview and clearly not wanting anything which might challenge him. That behavior, to me, says he knows he has no justification but he will keep repeating the theme.

2 Likes

It is bipartisan… God anointed Schumer to be Israel’s protector… At least he thinks so.

~https://www.huffpost.com/entry/schumer-im-on-a-mission-f_b_560091

Schumer: I’m on a Mission From God (to Be Israel’s Guardian in Senate)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that personal-political coming of age story.

“My first awareness of Israel was as a result of WWII and the holocaust. I was totally unaware of Palestinians.”

Of course…local, inveterate, indigenous peoples disappeared under the sweeping ‘heroic Jewish settlers versus the Arabs’ narrative.

“Really dispiriting was a video I just watched in which Abby Martin interviewed people on the street in Israel, both Israelis and some US visitors and residents.”

The Israelis - a lost cause.

On the other hand, on an optimistic note - the “US visitors and residents” would, kind of by definition, be the most extreme right wing American Jews supporting Israel; an increasingly non-representative right wing bloc of American Jews in the US, where massive military and political support is necessary to support Israel both economically and politically.

2 Likes

“It is bipartisan.”

Yea, 'fraid so…though I think there is a pragmatic aspect to Schumer’s existence - would he be elected repeatedly if his view of Israel were a ‘defining issue’ for US Jews ready to break with him over it? Or communities of color, for that matter?

I don’t have a well-worked out, fixed position on this…to extent that politicians, in some fashion, follow electorates…diminishing support Schumer’s views may lead to the election of ‘lawmakers’ willing to make Israel foreign aid conditional.

The right perhaps understands this better than liberals - hence, their longstanding public campaign to slime Israel critics - especially BDS supporters - as anti-semitic.

2 Likes

You misread “Support the Palestinian people and anti-Zionist but not anti-Semitic BDS campaigns.” So I will gladly take the opportunity to repeat a previous CD comment

BDS is not anti-Semitic – this is propaganda. BDS is anti-Zionist

Israeli products to steer clear off include:
Pampers, Victoria’s Secret,
Israeli dates, Sabra hummus, Pastures of Eden feta,
Soda Stream and Eden Springs bottled water,
Ahava and Moroccanoil beauty products

Corporations complicit in the occupation and oppression of Palestinian people include:
Volvo, Intel, HP, Motorola and McDonalds

1 Like

Hi oldman:
Thank you for the list. Well that’s it for Sabra Hummus : ( Oh well, there are other brands.

I can understand anti-zionist, because that’s what the zionists in the UK got through and neither Golda Meier and others did not seem to think of Palestinians except as being in their way---- that’s what screwed everything over from WW 2 and that awful zionist agreement. I really learned a lot from Tom Segev’s book, “The Seventh Million.” Everyone should read it.