Home | About | Donate

Everyone's Gone to the Moon…

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/30/everyones-gone-moon

Our particular multiverse would be much better off if homo sapiens never gets off Gaia. So far, we’ve been probing, with the end game being able to strip mine other planets for resources once poor old Gaia is tapped out. No matter where our species goes, we’ll be rapacious, greedy predators looking out for the benefit of a very few.

1 Like

“They” did not suddenly develop a collective interest in space exploration after a 50 year hiatus.
It is about escaping the consequences of their actions.

1 Like

I’m guessing we said we were not going to the moon for the last 50 years when in reality we were. Just surreptitiously. That way we get around budget restraints, controversy of purpose, and preventing the people from knowing the truth of possible habitation, alien or otherwise.

1 Like

The moon is often associated with lunacy in many myths. I think that describes the current state of humanity pretty well. A planet full of lunatics.

1 Like

“The realist in me says that for now at least the money could be better used elsewhere, to combat climate change and work on infrastructure that helps protect against the extremes of global warming”

Or, as buddy of mine puts it: “Space exploration? You know how many EBT cards you can fill with all that money?”

1 Like

I share this author’s torn sentiments. As a child I wanted to be an astronaut. And even when I learned my disabilities would make such a career impossible, I still wanted to study astronomy and space. But as the years went on I realized that we need to clean up what we are doing here first and focused my studies on policy, sociology, and climate science. How wonderful it would be if the biggest problems that our species has to face was how to get further and further into the cosmos, instead of worrying about our short term extinction and constant fighting among ourselves. Unfortunately we don’t have that luxury and maybe we will never again have it.

1 Like

The impending global heating mandates that we scrap future moon shots and the suicidal mission to Mars.

1 Like

Kind of a stupid premise. You are dead if you are on the moon. Let’s spend the money to save the earth.