Home | About | Donate

'Everything Is at Stake': Reproductive Rights Advocates Say Barrett Signing 'Extremist' Anti-Choice Ad Confirms Worst Fears

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/01/everything-stake-reproductive-rights-advocates-say-barrett-signing-extremist-anti

4 Likes

“Trump said he’s only nominating justices who’ll end Roe and criminalize abortion. We take him at his word.”

I wonder how many times in his life he has paid for women to have this procedure performed? That is assuming he ever had sex in his younger years.

5 Likes

Amy “Michelle Bachman’s Eyes” Barrett is playing a role from The Handmaid’s Tale-- the role as a traitor to her gender.
She’s such an arrogant traitor that she wants the power to tell other women what to do with their own bodies.
She wants to force women to gestate and birth children of rape and incest.
She thinks women having sovereignty over their own bodies is “barbaric.” It’s obvious that Handmaid Amy is the epitome of barbaric.

8 Likes

Does anyone know how these deeply religious (fundamentalist) people negotiate the Separation of Church and State? I understand that as a species that loves making meaning, there might be a way that via elaborate mental kung fu they might be able to explain it to themselves. I just cannot grasp what it could be.

Which of course leads me straight to the jaded and cynical reading - namely it’s nothing more than bad faith insurrection.

5 Likes

And please remember she is anti worker and pro corporation

5 Likes

Hi Piisner:
sigh—well if she is confirmed—and rapes start to suddenly occur over and over due to the courts WRONG decision id they destroy Roe V Wade—this will pit those who believe that all humans have a right to make decisions about their OWN lives against those who want to CONTROL. Sadly too, if this passes you will be making daughters of and relations of Justices into potential rape bait too. . : (

1 Like

pro-corporation translates into horrid for the environment.

This is getting beyond terrifying:
h-ttps://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/01/trump-debate-rules-joe-biden

While Biden leads Trump in most national public opinion polls, polls also show that the two are neck and neck in several states that could determine the winner of the contest.

Anyone here who thinks not voting or voting 3rd party/write is a good option (especially in swing states) is going to expedite the u.s. march into fascism on steroids. And this is a conscious and selfish choice. The writing is on the wall. We can’t say we were not warned.

6 Likes

So, Pelosi and Schumer are going to use every arrow in their quiver to stop this appointment? What have they done to date to stop Trump on ANYTHING? War Budget…we vote yes. CARES Act that was the largest upward transfer of wealth in history…we vote yes. Federal judges…nothing we can do to stop Mitch. Nancy will not do a damned thing to help people or state and local governments during a pandemic until after the election because…politics. Chuck and Nancy will do nothing and Barrett will be confirmed. Remember, vote blue no matter who.

5 Likes

Which other human right’s movements do the Reproductive Rights Advocates support? Perhaps they could build a coalition of unions, minimum wage workers, and those with inadequate healthcare to help them when their issue was the one on the table. Oh that’s right, they are democrats. The coalition is now Arms Manufacturers, Bankers, Insurers, Trade Lawyers, and the Pro Choice movement. Go get 'em Democrats!

1 Like

On Democracy Now they had a segment a few days ago with a survivor of the cult she is in. it was really terrifying what they did to her. You should all watch it.

I didnt realize Catholics could be that wacko.

3 Likes

You mean, vote Green unless the Democratic Party has succeeded in keeping them off the ballot in your state. And don’t forget the other more popular option, do not vote. DNV is the fastest growing and largest anti-political party in the country.

2 Likes

They certainly are that wacko!

1 Like

I think that this nominee to the court apparently lacks empathy. She cannot put herself in the place of a 15 year old who is pregnant and doesn’t want to be. Any woman who is anti-choice appears to be having that problem.

4 Likes

I think the priests sexually assaulting children and the Catholic Church cover-up should have given you a hint. Any other organizations would have been charged with RICO violations but, you know, religious freedom.

5 Likes

It’s too bad that Ms. Barrett wasn’t an abortion.

1 Like

You can always write in a candidate.

This issue really crosses all of these conditions where rights are of concern, that it has become a partisan political issue really devalues the debate. If anything it is discriminatory because as a health issue it is only applicable to women. Don’t kid yourself, republican women need health care too.

1 Like

The reproductive rights issue has been politicized for 40 years. Your side was accepting the abandonment of every policy that earned the Democrats my support for my first 30 years citing that as the only reason to vote Democrat in many elections. The Democrats actually offer me less than the Republicans, having started more war in their last term than the current administration and running their last term against the current one.Additionally the last administration set the stage for all the atrocities of this one so they wouldn’t have put those tools in place if they also weren’t intending to use them.

Give me something I want by way of policy and I’ll join your coalition. I won’t pick a side between women who want choice and women who don’t, because as I’ve often heard, it’s none of my business what a woman does with her body.

Until then, I judge Trump less likely to start more wars than the proven war mongering Democrat offering.

1 Like

I disagree, this is a constitutional right granted to women at a basic level, everyone needs housing including women whether they chose to reproduce or not, but it is a separate issue.

1 Like

This is once again, religion being forced on others who do not support it –

This is Jesus-crazy land – where these groups want to criminalize the throwing
away of frozen embryos –

OK – LET’S HAVE THEM VOLUNTEER TO HAVE THEM IMPLANTED IN THEIR OWN BODIES.

How many “Christians” are truly this crazy –

Come on – CATHOLIC WOMEN HAVE JUST AS MANY ABORTIONS AS ANY OTHER WOMEN

PLUS WHEN YOU ADD IN CATHOLIC LATINOS AND LATINAS, SUPPORT FOR SIMPLE
CHOICE AND OVERALL REPRODUCTIVE FREEDOM GOES UP 10%.

We are now over 50% support for simple CHOICE –

Looking at the other side of this coin, we see that Trump is calling these “Christians” he’s
supporting H U S T L E R S in private –

So what does that mean – is Trump doing this for money?

Is Trump doing this to save his own skin where we have just seen that he is in serious
financial difficulties?

Add to that that Trump is threatening the entire nation with a NON-PEACEFUL response
if he doesn’t win the election.

We indeed have an insane president on our hands as we were warned before he reached
the White House – this would have been better settled with the 25th Amendment.

Meanwhile, as for the Catholic Church pushing this – I trust women will do their best to
bring a rapid response to the doorsteps of these churches.

Recall, Homosexuals understood this very well – and didn’t walk away from making clear
who was responsible. “Christianity” holds Elites/Patriarchy in safety – and Elites are what
F’s Up most of our lives.

Also see George Seldes – “All Roads Lead to Rome” – it’s not a myth – on Vatican/RCC
and Spain – peasant uprisings over 75 years against the Catholic Church there until Spain
declared themselves a Republic/Democracy with SEPARATION OF CHURCH & STATE.

1 Like