Home | About | Donate

'Everything Is Destroyed': 90% of Mozambique Port City Wrecked by Tropical Cyclone Idai

'Everything Is Destroyed': 90% of Mozambique Port City Wrecked by Tropical Cyclone Idai

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Hundreds of people were killed and many more remain missing after a tropical cyclone destroyed 90 percent of the port city Beira, Mozambique, before moving on to Malawi and Zimbabwe—eliciting fresh demands for bolder efforts to battle the climate crisis that is making extreme weather more common and devastating.

2 Likes

Hundreds of people? 1000 is quoted here:

2 Likes

The people least responsible for wrecking the Earth are the most vulnerable to the consequences. Even within a culprit nation such as USA, the poor people of Puerto Rico are hit harder than anyone else.

Extraction of fossil fuels must be categorized properly, as the one thing worse than a crime against humanity: a crime against Life itself - and prosecuted accordingly.

6 Likes

The ignorance of the climate deniers and christian deniers will kill us all. I guess the rich ones who are lying and feeding their followers with lies and more lies have underground bunkers to live in when sea levels rises. I guess they don’t think there will be more earthquakes that will devour them but then God is taking them to heaven before that happens.

Weeping for all these people and the ones that came before them who are no longer with us or living in dire poverty because of mother nature shouting at us - ENOUGH

2 Likes

A very informative website:
http://floodlist.com

3 Likes

MSM is reluctant to do a story on this. They’re just black people. Meanwhile the Kardashians…

3 Likes

Among the first who would have sent aid would have been Muammar al-Gaddafi. Guaranteed.

4 Likes

It’s not really accurate to directly link this single event to global warming.

But it is accurate to link a general trend toward more (and increasingly severe) events like this one to global warming. Shit’s about to get real, yo.

4 Likes

And even here as we see in Nebraska, people are not sheltered from this calamity.

1 Like

Direct causality is tough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt—ask any asbestos plaintiff’s attorney. But as I understand it, even the earliest models of AGW predicted exactly what we’re seeing now: hotter heat waves, colder cold snaps, wetter rains and floods, and drier droughts; in other words, more—and more frequent and longer-lasting—extremes. As the models are refined, their value as tools for forecasting will increase, but the original conclusions will remain valid.

Shit’s getting real for sure, yo. (sigh)

1 Like

The company I contract with is in Phoenix. This winter they received a reprieve just in the nick of time in the form of heavy precip that warded off severe water restrictions.

But another 100,000 people will move there this year anyway.

The disconnect between shit getting real and the willingness of so many to conduct business as usual is kinda mind-blowing. Around here in Michigan, I’ve heard people complain about the ‘tough’ winter this year, but outside of the 3-day polar vortex event, it’s been notably mild. Why it’s so hard to grasp reality is beyond me.

2 Likes

Mrs. Guild and I moved to Tucson in 1978, and immediately fell in love with the Sonoran Desert. We soon saw the error of our ways when news of the Central Arizona Project (big infrastructure to siphon water from the Colorado River) started to turn sour—way behind schedule, way over budget, and already contaminated with ag/mining runoff. Moved back East in 1982.

It’s possible to live there, but you have to be willing to give up lawns, palm trees and golf courses. As a fictional Native American said to a friend, contemplating the world from their home in the White Mountains, “They’ll come up here and strangle us all for spit before there’s a dry swimming pool in Scottsdale.”

4 Likes

Dehumanization has a metastatic way of creeping upward and outward. We cage dehumans with medieval sanitary precautions, and what do you know? The pathogens developed there don’t stay inside the prison walls. We shrug off this city of a half-million destroyed, we fail to name the martyrs in New Zealand, we allow the police to hide the footage for years every time they murder someone… You know how the story goes, it’s the Reinhold Niebuhr syndrome, or, in the words of an old spiritual:

I went to the rock, to hide my face.
The rock cried out “No hiding place!”
There’s no hiding place down here.

3 Likes

Mozambique is protected from the Indian Ocean by Madagascar. It is weird that an ocean storm like a cyclone would be strong enough to weather the dry land and mountains of Madagascar and wind its way into Mozambique.
I think that is why they couldn’t prepare and expect a giant storm. I expect African ocean coastal areas are built better, with better drainage and more storm shelters. A cyclone/hurricane gives people time.

1 Like

Unbelievable.

That was probably not just the hurricane rain. The dam broke.

1 Like

Just curious. I wonder who runs the oil business in Libya.

Probably some guy from Houston who’s working for some guy in Langley, who returns calls from Kochroach Central in Wichita KS. I’m pretty sure it’s not Libyans.