Home | About | Donate

Evidence That Poor People Aren't Lazy

Evidence That Poor People Aren't Lazy

Paul Buchheit

Many wealthy white conservative males believe they deserve their good fortunes, and that the poor are taking handouts. But on average little of the money of the wealthiest Americans is spent on productive job-creating ventures. Potential young entrepreneurs, in contrast, are too often mired in debt and deprived of opportunities to prosper.

Thank you, Mr. Buchheit for speaking up for the poor and/or unemployed, and exposing how the 21st Century remake of Calvinism comes from the same voices who have always made life miserable for many while blaming the victims of their System for the ensuing poverty.

Indeed--it's the callous disregard for others shown by white males of (fiscal) means.

Carl Jung was one of the only examiners of the human psyche who recognized the value of archetypes. Taking some of these personae direct from the mythological pantheon, he explained that certain behaviors were fixtures to the human condition.

The myth of Cronus explains a father god who devours his own children. Taken metaphorically, it represents the old patriarch who'd rather murder his offspring than pass the torch of power onto them.

I think this archetype is very strong in our world at this time. When patriarchs of corporate power refuse to fund job programs, punish the poor, and demand that children's boundless minds restrict themselves to robotic testing, they are to an extent slaying the next generation to ensure that they can retain their own power.

Underfunding all of the programs that matter is a means--by stealth--of retaining power in the same hands.

This explains the mechanisms in detail:

I was in grade 8 when we got a new teacher for Social Studies. He was considered a "hippie" as he wore his hair long and had just graduated from University and there was tremendous resistance to him from other teachers.

I think he had the greatest impact on my life when it came to thinking for one self and questioning ones own perceptions. That was the first time I read "Man and his Symbols" and I actually got through the whole thing. When we read one of the texts provided for Social studies by the school board on our History he would posit questions to us asking for us to try to understand WHO wrote that history and why and would of what we read be different if one of our First nations people or a women had written the same.

I never forget him or his teachings even though I only had him as a teacher for two years. Recently I visited my old home town and that teachers name came up in a discussion with my cousins and they had much the same sentiments.

I think it is said in the Tao Te Ching (but I can't remember for sure) that the good teacher is never missed...:smile:

It's great to be able to credit a teacher with opening your thought process wider than "the norm." I notice that about you... that you don't need to conform to the dominant opinion and you see further than most. I've been working on a book on Consciousness, itself, and this idea that history's telling would provide a VERY different narrative if the voice doing the explaining was a woman or a Native American is very germane to my evolving work. Thank you for sharing your experience.

When we see the billions of dollars going to oil companies and corporations which pay no taxes, it is pathetic to begrudge the poor the few dollars which could help them overcome their disadvantage. Minimum LIVING wage, fair working conditions, allowing of those leaving prison to make a new start, decent schools and healthcare for all-a new set of priorities rather than militarism and "global war on anything".