Home | About | Donate

Example of 'Unknown Unknowns,' Study Detailing 'Almost Instant Mortality of Corals' Suggests Crisis Worse Than Previously Understood

Hi wingsofadove:
Thank you for this information–even though it is totally distressing. Homo sapiens have poisoned the air with wars, plasticized the oceans with commerce and murdered the bees and the birds.
sigh----when I read that people in Texas and Florida are getting the flesh eating disease from the ocean, I began wondering when the fish will catch it too.
So----I would like to ask the believers of all the religions of the world----if your God created the Heaven and the Earth-------WHY would any of you sit by and do nothing when your only home is being destroyed?

3 Likes

Economists trained to think in capitalistic terms.
I always needed to bite my tongue when such an economist friend was in the process of evaluating fracking on the local economy. I always wanted to tell him he needn’t spend so much time doing research. It could be summed up in one sentence. -

“Whatever jobs and salaries might contribute to the local economy are completely outweighed by the fact that the enterprise will ultimately result in the destruction of the human species.”

2 Likes

On the Arctic Sea Ice Forum, I’m hearing ominous apprehensions about the halocline and the tropopause–marine and atmospheric boundaries whose integrity all climate and weather models have to depend upon. Our ability to even understand what the hell is going on decreases as quickly as the climate destabilizes. The classic analogy, to envision such a state change, is a spinning top running out of rotation velocity, then tumbling. Science cannot predict the unpredictable.

2 Likes

I noticed that tourism was mentioned in the piece, that it would suffer. The fact that tourists fly to other regions and charter boats to view said reefs just exacerbates the problem. Things need to be scaled back drastically if humans want to survive more that a century or two. Flying jetliners adds considerably to CO2 emissions. If all the reefs die that’s equivalent to all the trees in North, Central and South America, dying, combined. Collapse of the entire ecology of Earth will surely follow. Peace

1 Like

That’s true. The models cannot contain all the possible variables because as the climate changes, the variables do too. Another reason why scientists tend to be conservative in their predictions.
My problem is that even the conservative estimates are bad enough that people should not want them to happen.

1 Like

Yep, capitalism must end for survival’s sake. All of it, including all military actions of the world.

1 Like

I understand your frustration, but that is the problem with capitalism, everything is based upon monetary value. A protected nature has no value. It only has value when it is being destroyed.

I am not sure about having no winter. I live in the NE US, and the winters have gotten worse and longer.
What happens is as the jet stream is weaken, the polar vortex dips down into the US. We have had that happen for the past few winters now. The snowfall is not increasing, but the number of below zero days are more.
This was actually predicted quite awhile ago, that winters would be worse in some areas.

A model is necessarily an abstraction: take away everything we don’t care about so we can concentrate on what matters – the lion’s share of what motivates the system. The structure modeled, in the case of Earth’s atmospheric circulation, is from observation, of course: three 30° tropospheric cells rolling against each other, embracing each hemisphere: equator to tropic, tropic to arctic, arctic to pole. That, and pretty much everything else we thought we knew, about how the atmosphere behaves, is getting iffy, particularly as we see the freaking stratosphere getting into the act! I hope not to sound like I’m claiming any special expertise. I’m just an ordinary slob reading what I can, on this subject, for many years. One lesson from the unexpectedly severe Arctic thaw in 2019 is that our calculations are seriously flawed. I hear experienced observers who have the same feeling I have: there’s something big in the system, something powerful we’ve evidently lost sight of. My prime suspect: ocean heat transport. I find it astonishing how little we know about ocean currents. Arctic ocean currents are like rainforest frog species: by the time we find out about them, they’ll be gone. Unknowns have a way of multiplying like rabbits.

Lightning was detected within 300 miles of the North Pole today. I’m totally unqualified to even guess about what that might mean, but nobody has ever seen it before. That’s what I hear.

Thank you for bearing with this discursive ramble, Skip Moreland, if you did. You may be the only one!

Well I understood more than I thought I would. And that is my assessment also. I study a lot of science but my major is biology. Which is where I see quite a bit of change. That I understand far better.
What I do remember from the predictions is that weather will be far more variable of the extremes affecting us.
And we are still learning about the ocean and atmosphere. How will the Humble current be affected as fresh water enters the ocean from land ice? As the polar vortex is pushed south and the warmer air goes north, what will be the end result? Just some of the unknowns.
As the saying goes, it is not always good to live in interesting times.
My wife was just showing me a washington post article on climate change showing how it is already affecting the US. It’s a long article, but it looks interesting. And that is w/o the rest of the world being shown.
There are many people who are going to find their habitat is no longer suited for them. As parts of the world become uninhabitable, they will be forced to leave. And that will bring a mass migration unlike anything we have seen before. And as the countries are overrun with tens of millions, there will be those who resort to violence. Desperate people will do what they feel they need. And both sides will be desperate.
Thanks for the response. Oh, I am a science nerd, so I try to read and understand as much as possible.

1 Like