Home | About | Donate

'Expand the Court': Ocasio-Cortez Leads Charge With 3-Word Democratic Strategy After Barrett Sworn In

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/26/expand-court-ocasio-cortez-leads-charge-3-word-democratic-strategy-after-barrett

Wait until after the election when Clarence Thomas retires, allowing Trump-McConnell to appoint a young, reichwing judge even after losing the Presidency and the Senate majority. No constitutional limits to stop them and no worry of reelection. I guess the good news is Nancy still has all those arrows in her quiver, having not used a single one yet.

7 Likes

Pelosi just spoke about judicial reform. More notable, Ronald Klain, a key Biden advisor, noticed the Wisconsin decision tonight:

~https://mobile.twitter.com/RonaldKlain/status/1320877061456699392

Add that to Angus King and Chris Coons, not exactly the most progressive Senators, and dealing with the Court is gaining steam.

This is why I voted for Hillary in 2016, the SCOTUS and all the lower courts. This is why I voted for Biden, the SCOTUS and the lower courts. To not vote, vote Green is totally asinine. Expanding the SCOTUS could be a double edged sword when the GOP is back in power (assuming they lose in 2020). Will the Democrats ever control the government again? Good luck with that. If Biden wins and the senate is still controlled by the GOP, the GOP will thwart and obstruct Biden at every turn as they did Obama.
Sadly, we have a lot of right wing dopes in this country who support Trump and the whole GOP agenda.

1 Like

‘Expand the Court’: Ocasio-Cortez Leads Charge With 3-Word Democratic Strategy After Barrett Sworn In

Under President Biden, it won’t happen.

4 Likes

AOC, please get on twitch and remind the gamers to go vote.
PLEASE! AOC!

4 Likes

Expanding the federal court system without first reforming it will solve little. Term limits, mandatory retirement, end judicial review (a power the SC gave to themselves), give the House the ability to override Supreme Court decisions, and an independent panel with rotating members of retired judges and constitutional lawyers to review the cases that are brought before the court. Once these changes are legislated and passed, if the SC rules them unconstitutional, only then resort to expanding the court.

2 Likes

Well i for one would like to thank you and all the other noseholders for your tireless efforts.
If not for your bravery and moral fortitude we would not have the corporate democrats here to day as the sole “opposition” party to the corporate gop.
Give yourself another pat on the back, you deserve it.

11 Likes

Perhaps you might enlighten the forum as to exactly what Pelosi might have done that she has not yet attempted?

Do you employ a crystal ball perhaps? Biden has come out against expanding the SC trrue enough,but he will be under enormous pressure to do exactly that after becoming president.

They all talked a nice game after they took control of all three branches back in 2008 as well. They then did the bare minimum, and all but invited the republicans to do exactly what they have done in the last four years.
In short, I’ll believe the democrats will be bold when they actually do something bold. But seeing as how Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, and Perez are all institutionalists as well as being corporate stooges, the prospects for real, substantive institutional change under their leadership are fleeting at best.
I hope I’m wrong, but I’ll also not be holding my breath.

7 Likes

If the democrats were honestly capable of, and interested in, the kind of revolutionary institutional change that The USA desperately needs right now, they never would have let Haim Saban and the rest of the big money Democratic donors in the Hamptons thrust the tired old Joe Biden upon us.

Nancy just announced that she lied two years ago when she said she would only be house speaker once more. She’s already lobbying for two more years. Chuck Schumer still has his head stuck up Bibi’s ass, and no other progressive has any other real seat of power within the Democratic Party apparatus. I hate to poor water on this hopeful little Democratic hootenanny, but the SCOTUS is now set to stop any and all progressive legislation from ever seeing the light of day for the next 15 years. Unless something RADICAL is done, we’ll all look back on last nights proceedings as the beginning of the American Reich.

5 Likes

Again. Pelosi is the number one trump enabler on the planet. A complete elitist phony. She was on Chris Hayes’s All In show last night (Oct 26) babbling about Comy Barrett while offering no plan to counter her appointment. All the Dems had to do was impeach Barr, which would have stopped the confirmation. Ask yourself why they didn’t. Only possible answer is that establishment Dems were aligned with the fascist republicans on the appointment. Pelosi is an enemy of the people, totally against healthcare, as well as anything progressive. She’s a horrible person, power hungry and completely self-absorbed. As I have repeatedly noted, nothing will change so long as she is around. A despicable, disgusting person.

7 Likes

Would that there were 100 more just like AOC in Congress.

2 Likes

I admire AOC, her Squad, and all her allies but her indecision whether to vote for Pelosi to maintain her position a the head of the DP is a disappointment. Pelosi had denigrated her and her Squad time and time again and refuses to take them seriously. They have no vote, she stated more than once. A vote for this bitch is a vote for more of the same, the status quo, not change. Pelosi is a Corporatist and has been for decades. She is not EVER going to move left, be more progressive, more Liberal, more LGBT favorable.

As for expanding the SCOTUS to more judges, that will never happen. The core of the DP will never support that, and Biden has stated he is not a fan, or that of term limits. Harris will be on board with that same mindset. Rotating the judges, another oxymoron suggestion is not even logical, and will never be done. What a sight to behold. An alcoholic (Kavanaugh), a bigot, racist and sexual predator(who is Black)–Add to the list. Barrett is a far from normal jurist and can be placed in that category of having no idea what “justice” and the “law” means. Fair? Impartial? Hardly. Thanks DP. Your service to your country corporations and the Elite OnePercenters is duly appreciated.

5 Likes

No crystal ball needed BigB. I just don’t embrace the magical thinking that portrays the election of President Biden as getting Republicans In the congress and senate to suddenly deciding to stop blocking initiatives that they are currently adamantly opposed to.

4 Likes

Expanding the court won’t do a bit of good under Biden or any other DLC corporationist. The faces might not be quite so similar, but their policies and decisions won’t change much. The court will still serve the corporate masters, and not the people.

AOC has chosen to advocate something that has nice optics, but will make no substantial change. Earlier, she joined, and promoted, one of Biden’s useless task groups. Those are not a good signs for what her future actions will be.

6 Likes

Suggest you read the comments.

1 Like

“Republicans do this because they don’t believe Dems have the stones to play hardball like they do,” the New York Democrat added.

WOW… there’s naive, and then there’s this!!!

1 Like

Wrong. He will be under tremendous pressure – from big money transnational interests, his base constituency – not to expand the Subprime Court. His donors love having a stopgap mechanism to nullify potential congressional action. This anti-American Court will act as a bulwark against the People for the next 40 years. And by then of course the world will be toast.

5 Likes