Home | About | Donate

Experts Mapped Global Hotspots Where Restoring Tropical Rainforests Would Be Most Beneficial and Least Costly and Risky

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/06/experts-mapped-global-hotspots-where-restoring-tropical-rainforests-would-be-most

Restoration Works! I have witnessed and had the privilege of being involved with landscape/hydrological restoration projects on the order of thousands of square kilometers. While nothing happens instantly, proper management does yield positive results. There are myriad disciplines that can and want to contribute to the cause. The impediments? Greed and politics. If we truly value a better world we have to fight for it in what we consume and how we vote. The place to start is education. It is quite remarkable that a teenager from Sweden is effecting change, but that change has to continue going viral. We can’t rest on the satisfaction that someone else is “doing it”. “We didn’t start the fire”, as Billy Joel crooned, but maybe we can begin putting it out. Peace.

2 Likes

Study: Brazilian mega-dams caused far more flooding than EIA predicted
For those who might want to scan the reports of impacts of mega dims… keep in mind that these in turn are the anchor for the heaviest most biologically destructive industries the world over.

Contrast with Micro Hydro: de-centralized; low impact; accessible at local and regional scale AND potentially an anchor for cooperative models of local industry.

2 Likes

Masanobu Fukuoka’s “One Straw Revolution” describes how “Natural Farming” can grow crops without chemicals, with diversity and maximum yield. His system could be used to restore forests in a simple, energy efficient way.

It involves using seed balls packed with compost and diverse seeds and scattering them about. The seeds that best grow in each area, be it humid, dry, sunny or shady, will sprout there as nature intends.

I’ve read of using drones to replant clearcuts. These might also be used to scatter the seed balls and reseed and restore forests.

3 Likes

Meanwhile…https://theintercept.com/2019/07/06/brazil-amazon-rainforest-indigenous-conservation-agribusiness-ranching/

1 Like

I was thinking it was strange the author had Brazil on her list at this time, when it’s fascist government is waging war on the environment in the Amazon region. Any attempts there at reforestation until this administration is removed, is a wasted effort, as you’re link shows.
I also thought it was strange the comment section was closed for this story (you’re link), even though it was posted with todays date.

1 Like

From 2012 John Liu

1 Like

Respectfully, one difference of opinion–we can restore all of the rain forests, and the rest of the ecosystems as well–given the will to attempt it. We just cannot do it all at once, nor to exactly what each was before.

It is not something to be done principally by money, though of course it involves people who do not know or trust each other attempting to cooperate, so money will be gummed through the works of all of it. But the money can go round and round as it wishes as long as the trees are planted and taken care of.