Home | About | Donate

Extinction Rebellion: We Need To Talk About The Future

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/10/30/extinction-rebellion-we-need-talk-about-future

2 Likes

Sam Knights, I do find your reflections most honest and useful. Maybe an additional suggestion for young folks: check out the advice of experienced (consequently older, maybe even long-dead) agitators. We call what you’re doing here a “post mortem” (even after a successful action): getting together and looking hard at what worked and what didn’t work. It’s what grownups do, though they’re seemingly scarce these days. You even risk turning people off – probably flashes in the “activist” pan anywho.

Your reflections, especially about (unnecessarily, imho) burning yourself out physically and mentally, have me wondering about that great good Activism. What does Activism intend, other than one-upping the other activists? Is there some inchoate intention to force positive social changes by shaming the shameless, or intimidating the timid, or diverting the diverted? Point out an example of a successful action in the context of millennial mass media mind-control. How does anyone, myself definitely included, break free of binds of consciousness which are also bonds of identity?

I don’t have answers, so I ask (albeit useless) questions.

Keep it simple:

Cap personal Wealth, share the rest equally.

Problems solved.

True radicalism is informed by both passion and reason

We cannot fly with one wing