Home | About | Donate

Facebook Doesn’t Tell Users Everything It Really Knows About Them

Facebook Doesn’t Tell Users Everything It Really Knows About Them

Julia Angwin, Terry Parris Jr.

Facebook has long let users see all sorts of things the site knows about them, like whether they enjoy soccer, have recently moved, or like Melania Trump.

But the tech giant gives users little indication that it buys far more sensitive data about them, including their income, the types of restaurants they frequent and even how many credit cards are in their wallets.

What are "Farmville Slots"?

And I'm not at all sure what the meaning of 'creepy' is when the whole system, defined as broadly as you like, is beyond creepy.

Deconstruction may have had value as a critical exercise in discussing art and cultural matters but when the human body and personality is deconstructed for profit it more resembles dismemberment. Gives slice and dice a whole new meaning.

I have never been on Facebook. One can only imagine what that says to TPTB and in how many categories.

Could the human theme be "The Path of no Return"? Or how do we undo all the 'wrong' steps?

Do not think your personal info spread worldwide on FB is insignificant.

Saw "Digital Dissidents" on FSTV.

Female ex MI5 spy turned whistle-blower says, "Facebook is every spies wet dream. I think it is evil. What they know from FB instantaneously would take a spy months to learn with standard spy methods."

How far away is a digital corral from a physical, human corral?