Home | About | Donate

Facebook's Unchecked Power Endangers Civil Rights

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/07/29/facebooks-unchecked-power-endangers-civil-rights

2 Likes

Zuckerberg is testament to the wisdom of Lord Acton’s aphorism: “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.”

He has not matured into a person of empathy but rather grown into one of amoral (at best) avarice. That he dangles the word “social” to describe his product is an absurdity ad infinitum.

3 Likes

Not a rhetorical question (I’ve raised this before):

Why is it that the most progressive web sites still enable and even promote facebook?

Doesn’t this feel like more crazy making to you?

Writing good, sometimes excellent articles about all that is wrong with capitalism, the elite, income inequality, issues with social media. . . only to then encourage you to comment on facebook?

Common Dreams----why do you use facebook? How can you break free from it and not enable/support/promote what this article describes?

3 Likes

Zuckerberg is just a common thief, who got luckily with what he stole. It seems to be a common theme among “Tech Giants”.

1 Like

The snot-nose punk should have his ego-toy taken away and broken up - at the very least, or the entire mind-rot poison candy destroyed. Zuckerberg is a saboteur and his toy a blight on humanity as it is.
I am glad to say I am old and annoying - I don’t text, don’t tweet, and certainly do not facebook, and I never have any of those.

2 Likes

I agree, our generation were raised with different values when it comes to privacy. My kids don’t get it, one of them even has a “ring” camera on their front door (I’ve noticed I duck my head down subconsciously when I approach it :))) ) I do admit I text now, if I didn’t I’d rarely hear from them.

2 Likes

Hi Emphyrio:
I don’t use it either, as they reaIIy have no privacy settings, as one of my friends experienced. When Facebook got going , I was in between computers—and then when I finaIIy got another computer---- the horrors of Iack of privacy began to show and that was enough for me.

1 Like