Home | About | Donate

Facing Serious Charges, Judge Sets ‘Long Timetable’ For Assange To Prepare Defense Against Extradition

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/14/facing-serious-charges-judge-sets-long-timetable-assange-prepare-defense-against

2 Likes

Let’s hope Jeremy Corbyn is in power by then and can put an end to this farce.

5 Likes

Hate to say it, but that’s pure wishful thinking bro. Like the rest NATO & EU, when push comes to shove, the UK is a puppet state.

Most likely Assange will die in custody due to ‘poor health’ (read: torture) prior to February.

Probably late on a Friday afternoon, just before the birth of a royal baby or an ‘inter-racial’ royal marriage or some other bullshit event.

3 Likes

The possibility of Corbyn being elected is far from wishful thinking. If that’s the extent of your view about whether states can escape the grasp of imperialism then I suggest you quit politics (or blogging) and go fishing instead.

2 Likes

Caitlin Johnstone writes about Gordon Dimmack’s awesome rant at the media outside the courthouse:

4 Likes

The title literally states that the judge faces serious charges. That is reasonable and palpable enough that I combed through the article twice looking for a reference.

Would it were so.

2 Likes

You misunderstand. Corbyn might be elected (or might not). But regardless, Assange is doomed. The very fact that USA has already rolled over the sovereignty of Sweden, Ecuador & the UK so that Julian could be nabbed demonstrates this fact.

2 Likes

It’s not a fact. Corbyn could block the extradition. Believe me I know what the US has done re other nations’ sovereignty. I also know where it’s been defeated.

2 Likes

I know I just posted this link a week ago on another article, but I really wanted to bring it up again for anyone who missed it. Chelsea Manning wrote the most amazing letter to the judge in her grand jury case, in response to him telling her to “reflect” on her opinion of grand juries. I found this long letter really educational on how grand juries work, and why they are unjust. Also applies to the secret grand jury proceedings that came up with the Assange indictments.

I again urge Common Dreams to publish this, or maybe Shadowproof should:

https://www.aaronswartzday.org/chelsea-manning-letter/

5 Likes

Oh hey, Kevin Gosztola already wrote a piece about Chelsea Manning’s letter. Also very cool:

5 Likes

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” --Julian Assange or perhaps Matthew 7:7.

Locking up Internet preachers is a violation of all Christian’s right to self-determination. --I, pope not.

Hi monecritter:
YES, I’ve read it before and it is truly an mazing letter!

2 Likes

Fortunately for Assange, there are the cases of Gary McKinnon and Lauri Love, who in recent history the U.S. failed to extradite. They defeated the U.S. in U.K. courts. Some of their arguments will undoubtedly be useful to his defense (in addition to arguments related to press freedom).

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing here! Chelsea’s letter was one of the best cases for abolishing the grand jury in the United States that I can remember reading.

4 Likes

Absolutely.

1 Like

Speaking of long timetables, WTF is going on with Flynn? Are they EVER going to sentence this unreluctant traitor.

1 Like

Hard to believe how misguided, power starved politicians get to run countries, even as their crimes are exposed. As part of the rape culture, they commit the crime, then lie and deny when discovered, and blame their victim. This is the pattern that the hierarchy in the US, including the military, have behaved since Reagan, and they will keep doing it as long as they can pivot the blame and walk away.

3 Likes

McKinnon and Love are not political enemies of the US. US courts have shown their face in every single step for the many past years…and including this last sentence for a bail breach that was about an already closed investigation…and a warrant that was not even issued by a court in Sweden. My fear is that the US itself does not want this case to go to court…as the discovery process will discredit them well…so I fear for Assange’s life. The only hope I have lies with the wishful thinking of Sanders as a president.

It’s the ONLY one I can remember reading.

Catholic Church hierarchy included.