Home | About | Donate

Facing State Felony Charges for Disrupting 'Critical Infrastructure,' Greenpeace Activists Denounce Fossil Fuel 'Bullying Tactic'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/16/facing-state-felony-charges-disrupting-critical-infrastructure-greenpeace-activists

Free Speech criticizing an Oil Company is now a Felony?

1 Like

I fear that if the government creates laws which harshly punish those protesting industries who are responsible for the constant degradation of humanity’s health due to the never-ending pollution of our air and water, and the clear and present danger of Climate Change, I believe that we will see an increase in homegrown terrorist attacks of key industries responsible for generating the pollution that is killing us slowly.

Government officials that have enabled these industry polluters may also be targeted for their complicity.

Perhaps, in the end, if there ever is an end to this Profit At Any Cost Mentality by this government and industry, in the end, they’ll get what they’ve long deserved.

1 Like

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable”
JFK

2 Likes

Are we sure about that? I see a distracted, lethargic, unconcerned public. They may bitch when the gas prices go up a buck or more, or their favorite weapon seized. But I don’t see a movement against being robbed by government to pay for rich peoples fine living, or for denying climate change. Not the kind of protest that will accomplish anything.

I just read this article this morning, and that JFK quote was the first thing I thought of.

2 Likes

Funny about that. And along those same lines, oil and gas pipelines are now “critical infrastructure,” while clean aquifers and healthy wetlands are not.

2 Likes

G,

I have to think that after we helped bring about the end of the Vietnam War, the parties of the Duopoly, doing what they do best, dividing us into two groups, which constantly kept us from agreeing on a clear path to address the government’s corruption, pushed the country’s focus on other distractions meant to divide us, like abortion, welfare for the poor, and immigration, just to name a few.

I know a few people on both sides, those very concerned that nothing is done to fix long standing problems, and those that are pretty much apethetic to the issues that we all should be aware of.

I really believe it’s up to those ages 18 to 40, to lead the charge against government and industry to get it right, or get out.

I believe your 2 kids fall in that age range. What is their level of concern on these matters? Do they have any views on pollution and how it will affect their lives in the future?

I’m not trying to put you on the spot here, I’m merely looking for any data from that age group.

Really sad, isn’t it, that this is the level of concern in government and industry.

It’s almost like, they know something we all don’t know about, concerning the inevitability of something happening in our future that most of us should be made aware of.

It’s no secret that we’re all going to die at some point, but some people aren’t above taking their resentment out on the rest of us. It’s of a piece with “He who dies with the most toys wins.”

“Leaving the world a better place than we found” is by far the nobler motto.

The PTB have us by the short hairs. They will put you in jail if you freelance a protest. If you try for a permit they turn you down. Gee, I wonder what recourse they leave us?

They are all busy either involved or ignoring. One of my boys is looking for work that suits him, as he is limited because of the chronic pain from a surgery. The other started a new job within the the past few days. They are in limbo I suppose.