In a functional Democracy, the press and media must be held By the People, otherwise special interests use their financial assets to keep PR teams on hand to draw up sound bytes, storylines, and assorted false narratives useful for things like:
- Starting wars on the basis of evidence that was FIXED
- Demonizing necessary enemies du jour
- Absolving the bankster-conmen for a financial collapse than went global... by putting poor Black homeowners on the hook
- Camouflaging Conservative fiscal policies by using Calvinist--Blame The Victim--canards
- Sexing up the role of uniformed soldiers by reinforcing simplistic good guy-bad guy versions of events... to ensure ongoing wars.
- Lying about a national fiscal recovery
etc. ad nauseum.
When so many once respected news outlets all repeat the same chorus lines, only brave nonconformists dare to oppose their fictions. Sadly, most citizens feel a need to conform and probably half can't see past the propaganda. The other half can, but recognizes that the tools of Democracy--the press, media, academe, the courts, Congress--are for the most part, all Occupied by the 1% and its agents/puppets.