Home | About | Donate

Failed Trump Coup Gives Way to 'Brazen Attempt' by GOP to Undermine Voting Rights

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/22/failed-trump-coup-gives-way-brazen-attempt-gop-undermine-voting-rights

1 Like

Are we witnessing the death of democracy? Has a cartoon president and semi-literate buffoon, coupled with an amoral oath breaking Senate majority leader combined to bring it all down?
Of course the democrats must share responsibility for not taking a stand during the Obama years when McConnell was refusing his sworn duty to hear presidential nominees.

5 Likes

“Trump and the Republican Party have now had more than 50 lawsuits dismissed by federal and state courts,”

What Trump has tried through the courts, is a corrupt but albeit Coup d’ Etat. Trump needs to be indicted for treason!

5 Likes

RickDD;

Maybe we should start a Bastille Fund and see how popular this idea could be in America? Of course the French one allowed the rich favors, along with their having servants---- so the American one should be built next to the Draw and Quartering Field----just to remind all that a democratic republic shouldn’t even have to think up insane ideas like this to get the politicians to work for the PEOPLE!: )

1 Like

I’ll wait until after January 20 to pronounce the coup-attempt “failed.” Don’t turn your back on these goons, lulling the public dotty with their seriously fascist clowning. Orangeman knows it’s seriously over for him the minute he steps out of that door – from his demented point of view, absolutely nothing is off the table, up to and including doing something to shut-up Pat Robertson.

Has anyone heard from SepticTank? Not long ago we had an orange minion by that name, frequenting this forum. Are some minions finally peeling off and giving up on their autocratic idol?

5 Likes

A Coup against the US Government and US People… Seems like Treason to me. Treason against the Constitution.

TREASON:the crime of betraying one’s country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government.

Punishment for Treason *& high crimes:
death
Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and …

We have Trump at the head of the line, followed by 100s of his Republican colleagues…This guy is a mortal threat against this “democracy”.

3 Likes

Me too because Trump is now getting so delusional and so insane he is liable to do anything to stay in office. I won’t believe it until I see Trump frog marched out of his bunker in an orange jump suit and handcuffs!

5 Likes

Failed Trump Coup.

Who within active duty army or nearby National Guard are going into white house, supreme court, capitol, offices of FBI, CIA, Pentagon and the 22 intel services of U.S.A. and seal off any and all activity.

That is what it would take to complete a successful coup. Yes, it will happen someday, but not now. And it is time to decentralize the pentagon by 60%. Move FBI into one leg. DOJ into another and IRS into the third. Avoid hacking by going to hard wire and intranet. not use the internet.

Sad that 42% of republican voters think trump won. How many Pittsburg Steeler fans think Steelers beat Bengals last night?

3 Likes

Unless Biden’s DOJ launches indictments of Trump, his appointees, and other enablers on January 21, you will witness daily Trump and GOP “brazen attempts” and successes undermining the Democratic Party and democracy itself.

5 Likes

and where are the Democrats defending our voting rights–oh ya --suppressing votes to make sure their corporate preferred candidate wins the nomination and then shaming us to get us to vote for their candidate( a note here–voting for the lesser of two evils guarantees that you will be ruled by evil) – other than that they haven’t done a damn thing to protect voting rights since they passed the VRA decades ago–in fact their lack of protecting voters rights is the main reason they have steadily lost power at all levels of government, all over the country for the last 50 years

3 Likes

Just like i expect, they’re going to voter suppress the hell out of black people, starting in the runoff election on January 6th.
Then blame black voters when Perdue & Loeffler retain their offices, while glossing over the voter suppression - reminiscent of the “Democratic” primaries earlier in 2020. That’s the new playbook on how the Republicans can “win” going forward: divide the “progressives” against the darkies.

i saw it work to perfection in the “Democratic” primaries. It was sad - i thought everyone involved (but especially the “progressives”) was too smart to fall for it, but alas…

1 Like

I’m not sure I would call it “failed” at all. Trump is pissed because he cheated in these states, but not enough to win. Looking at the numbers of supporters who now doubt the system isn’t rigged, I’d say the coup was a success, they just didn’t accomplish all of their goals, and the system may never recover, so somewhat of a success.

Re Skeptic Tank: This question was brought up the other day, someone claimed he was banished until after the new year. Not sure if this is true, but it does happen.

1 Like

~https://commons.commondreams.org/u/Skeptictank

2 Likes

We at least he hasn’t been erased, I’ve seen that before.