Home | About | Donate

Failing Breitbart Comes for Juan Cole on Climate History and It Won’t Go Well

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/09/04/failing-breitbart-comes-juan-cole-climate-history-and-it-wont-go-well

4 Likes

The rightwing echo chamber has the advantage of lie-casting to an audience of willfully ignorant tools.

3 Likes

Cole sez:
“(Breitbart’s) gone from 17.3 million readers … to 4.6 million Neanderthals in May of 2019.”

Good to see the author allow his righteous indignation freak flag to fly over the Breitbart compound, but this is unnecessarily harsh treatment of the Neanderthal.

4 Likes

History is banned from full public awareness.
The real history would likely be sufficient to enliven a revolution to overturn the authoritarian minority dominating the majority with their anti-human, anti-truth extremist ideology.

3 Likes

I’m reminded that Noam Chomski is often criticized for daring to speak on history because he’s a mere professor of linguistics.

3 Likes

I realize you’re saying others say this, but some here possibly don’t realize that Chomsky isn’t quite “a mere professor of linguistics.” Chomsky himself would modestly deny it, but some consider him a giant in the field of linguistics, of similar stature to Darwin. I’m serious. Chomsky’s contribution to linguistics (while enjoying fiesty refutations of late) was transformative.

Ironically, his linguistic framework is so ubiquitous today, Chomsky has almost undoubtedly contributed, as a byproduct, to the craft of language-recognition technology. (He probably knows it, and hates that!) That’s the way it goes when you’re a real scientist…

3 Likes

Quick link to the

perhaps this is taking Breitbart a bit too seriously.

1 Like

i go to breitbart, often. i read the heading of articles to see if i can cut and paste in something semi relevant. i usually antagonize folks there with an opinion of donnie or Bb or even the article. getting folks there to begin talking to me. at the moment i’m tom tuttle on Bb. i’m spammed so often i’ve been many names on Bb. but i keep telling them we know what donnie is. we aren’t calling him names, we being the left. we are describing him. eventually donnie will even make some of the most bigoted folks on Bb see through the con. i just give them a nudge in that direction.

frequently when i tell them they voted for bush/cheney twice. they deny ever doing so. so there must be some sense of guilt, shame in them.

1 Like

Wow! Colorful. I’d give money to see Cole and Trump in a debate. It would be something to watch Trump with his 2nd grade insults against the masterful linguistically articulate insults pouring forth from Cole. That would be a sight not to be soon forgotten. :rofl:

1 Like

Juan Cole !!
Get some humor.
A thicker skin.
You are in Ann Arbor
and I do abhor
The massive power condensed there.
Heck, they are running the whole northwest territory as I write.
Great Lakes management
Automotive standards alone has over 700 employees
Terrific medical treatment quality and down the street are the real
medical power house in USA. The evaluators, decision makers.

Meanwhile, 21% of americans do - yes, do - read and listen to opposing views.
This is important for individuals to get past the quick headline and understand
the details. The Profit Is In The Details.
Outlines, bullet points that we complain about el trumpo using.
Are also the personal IQ limit of many house representatives
and likely a few senators too.
Staffers, who we expect to be experts, often are at a total loss
explaining anything.

So, Juan, do not get upset with east coast and west coast push backs, attacks because some of them are quacks.

Thank you, Professor Cole, for your lessons published here. You make the Big Ten proud.

1 Like

One of the best pieces I’ve read from Professor Cole to date. I only question one line: “I know that the geniuses over at Breitbart are contemptuous of learning and, like, knowing the alphabet, so let me make you a bet that none of them has read any of the books on my syllabus.”
The problem with this sentence, Prof. Cole assumes Breitbart readers know what a syllabus is. I have my doubts.

Fine article, and thanks for reprinting it. In fact you can’t make much sense of the past 1500 years in European history without knowing about the effects of the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age, which continued until at least the time of the American Revolution and subsequently.