Home | About | Donate

Failing Libya

Failing Libya

Alison Pargeter

On 20 October 2011, former Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Qadhafi was dragged out of his sewage-pipe hideout to meet his inglorious end. Five years on and things in Libya couldn’t be much worse. There is still no centralised authority; killing, abduction and torture are rife; the economy is almost on its knees; and the country has fragmented beyond repair. The triumphalism that accompanied Qadhafi’s removal from power can hardly have been more misplaced.

Brzezinski's The Grand Chessboard (1997) plan on track...

This entire mess can be laid directly at the feet of Hillary.
She wanted the war, she lobbied for the war, she got the war, and "she killed him."
Hillary is a warmonger and she will authorize her warmonger friends to do what warmongers do (start wars and make money) as soon as she's elected.

Whatever anyone thinks of the Syrian war, you can bet that Assad watched in horror as Ghaddafi was sodomized with a bayonet and then beat to death knowing full well what was in store for him. I'd fight for my life too and I believe in...

Peace
Po

Agreed. In addition I've been thinking for a while that, like Putin, ninety percent of what has been said about Assad is bull sh*t. Even Stephen Cohen says that ninety to ninety-five percent of what is said about Putin is a just bunch of evidence free allegations.

Po

People need to stop building their countries on top the west's resources.

She who cannot be named's bad judgement is on display in Syria.

They're afraid of Trump, it's really that simple.

Once upon a time Libya worked as a country. Whatever sort of nasty bastard Gaddaffi might have been to his political opponents, who have clearly proved themselves to be just as bad, if not worse, once upon a time most people in Libya had a decent future. Now they don't and the results for Europe have been a major, highly expensive, destabilising refugee crisis with as many as 10 000 north Africans per day being rescued from the Mediterranean. It is a crisis that will live in Europe into the 4th generation and maybe beyond as it is being exploited now by right-wing extremists and the hatred now being bred in European society will lead to violent divisions of society in the future.Thank you for nothing, USA. With allies like the USA, who needs enemies?

This is what happens when your whole response to any problem is to go kill someone. It is an attitude that has encompassed the whole neocon movement and was expressed by Hillary Clinton's good buddy, Madeleine Albright, when she asked Colin Powell, "What good is your army if you don't use it?" It's the same attitude that sent us into Iraq without the foggiest idea of what to do once it was occupied, with the inevitable result.