Home | About | Donate

"Failure on All Levels": Trump Won't Divest, Gives Sons Control of Empire

"Failure on All Levels": Trump Won't Divest, Gives Sons Control of Empire

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

President-elect Donald Trump on Wednesday gave his first press conference since the November election—indeed, since July—but gave little information on his relationship with Russia and outlined a plan to address his conflicts of interest that at least one government watchdog group called a "failure on all levels."

Even the attorney hired to convince the press the emoluments clause doesn't mean what it does said djt "can't unknow that he owns Trump tower" and called the brand "iconic." Neither can foreign governments unknow the connection between the brand and the man who continues to speak about himself in the 3rd person. And who was given any opportunity to examine the piles of paper said to represent "just some of the documents signed by Mr." to hand over control of the assets to his sons?

It was weird to hear president-elect Trump refer to himself in the third person. However, it was downright scary to see how steamed up and ANGRY he looked after the first question. Hold on to your hats folks... it's gonna be a long and scary ride!

Trump will have 2 empires, the 4th Reich & his business empire.Trump's sons could give jobs to the unemployed but they'll only give them to people with good connections.:scream::confounded::eyes::writing_hand::writing_hand::wind_blowing_face:

Tried listening to Trump's "news conference" but he largely evaded answering questions, made accusations of bias against the press, spewed propaganda and braggged about how beautiful and great he was going to make things while blabbing on an on without taking enough questions as though it was another one of his rallies.

The NY Times has the full transcript here:

While he says some things that I occasionally agree with like the following statements he made about exorbitant drug prices, "We’ve got to get our drug industry back. Our drug industry has been disastrous. They’re leaving left and right. They supply our drugs, but they don’t make them here, to a large extent. And the other thing we have to do is create new bidding procedures for the drug industry because they’re getting away with murder. Pharma, pharma has a lot of lobbies and a lot of lobbyists and a lot of power and there’s very little bidding on drugs. We’re the largest buyer of drugs in the world and yet we don’t bid properly and we’re going to start bidding and we’re going to save billions of dollars over a period of time," it is difficult to believe him when he makes these statements given his well-documented penchant for lying and telling people what he thinks they want to hear. Also, the drug industry is an easy target as very few people believe the pricing system is fair and just and Trump's plans to allow bidding is very likely not all that it seems. Just as with any other president or politician, one must really take what they say with a grain of salt and instead watch what they actually DO.

Interesting he would mention Nazi Germany. So the $64,000 question is, is anyone going to stop him or is he untouchable? So he breaks the Emoluments clause is he arrested, impeached, what?

This should not surprise anyone. What's confusing is depending on who is speaking, or what being published, is the contradiction regarding conflicts of inrterest in the Constitution. Apparently these rules apply to everyone but the President and the VP (depending who's doing the talking). Trump has made it clear over and over and law is on his side. Same for having Ivanka as a stand-in for his current wife. And his son-in-law as FP adviser. Others state he can be impeached and all of them are in violation of the law.

Which is it?

Now everyone (against Trump) seems to be giving up, waving their arms in the air with a "This is going to be a rocky four years". So this is the new normal? Right? Right. Wow. Can't wait to see who comes next after he's removed from office, resigns, or tossed under the bus. Oh. Right. HRC is still out there. She intends (according to her posse) to run for NT mayor. And then 2020: I'm BAACCKKKK!

Never have I ever hoped so deeply to be wrong but.....Trump and contracts, worker rights and bankruptcies - his revised name being his fortune for the most part (when we need sustainability ?) reminds me of the Marx Brothers and 'the sanity clause'

and the 'one hit wonders' of the 70s .... they call him the rapper...

Feels amazingly like deja vu all over again.

The title was click-bait for me, I had to bite.

Hillary was our new premier for-profit Secretary of State, surpassing all previous cabinet members and VP's (read Cheney) in terms of graft by nearly an order of magnitude. Bill traded national secrets on missile tech to the Chinese in exchange for 2nd term campaign money. But Hilary got dozens of multimillion-dollar contributions from nation-States to the Clinton Family Slush Fund Foundation, in exchange for State Department favors. Her personal approval of the deal to sell off of 20% of the US uranium ore in the ground to Kremlin-connected oligarchs took the cake for me.

Kleptocracy by usurpers has been the norm. Feel free to fight against it - who knows - maybe someday we can fend them off.

I hope all the Hillary haters are happy now. Are you happy with the new fascist in chief?

I was trying to figure out what he meant by pharma "bidding" (one of the concessions in the ACA was not allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices), but by the end of the event, my head was spinning. I used NPR's transcript,

with fact-checking and other annotations.

@morgan1, until this morning (and then only in his own mouth, not that of the lawyer condescending on emoluments) I'd heard the freedom from conflicts of interest only for the President. Someone on MSNBC immediately after explained that it was about separation of powers, and since the VP doesn't sign legislation, it does apply to him. Sorry, Pence.

Blame your candidate for denying the only person who could have prevented this. Your candidate won the popular vote but the electoral college denied her the win. The same electoral college that the DNC supports.

Impeach this SOB!

Why are you blaming someone else for his behavior?

Of course they are- he's a white supremacist.

Still talking about Hillary? Guess you need knew glasses. The article is about Trump.

I am not giving up, and neither should anyone else.

Maybe just MAYBE with the Republicans in charge of the Senate, the House and the Presidency the people who support the notion of "Running the Government like a Business " \and those that support the "Let the Free Market decide free of Regulations" crowd will come to realize just how mind numbingly stupid such ideology is.

That said it will be a tragedy for the environment in the meantime and might well be too high a cost to pay to demonstrate that stupidity.

Wow, unstable would be putting it mildly. More like ranting, raving lunatic. Just the way the right likes their leaders. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this...thing will be our president in just a few days and over 59 million of my fellow Americans helped put him there.

We can only hope.