Home | About | Donate

Far from 'Un-American,' Trump Tapping Into Latent US Xenophobia

Far from 'Un-American,' Trump Tapping Into Latent US Xenophobia

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Much has been made of how Donald Trump's racist remarks on the 2016 presidential campaign trail are "un-American," outlandish, and—incredibly to some—giving him a bump in the polls.

But others say it's time for a reality check.

Given the dangerous, apocalyptic vision of "fulfilling God's work" on earth that informs and
historically has been routinely cited to justify U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East; and given the massive number of deaths, refugees and future terrorists caused by this sacred mission, I propose that all U.S. Christian soldiers be prevented from entering Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and other countries in the region until
we get this thing figured out. We have no choice...we have no choice.

Robert Reich is now circulating a petition via Democracy for America to oust Trump from the GOP. That petition will also find some positive resonance within the GOP.

If it succeeds Trump will run as an independent and take a large slice of the GOP voters with him. That would de facto hand the presidency to the Dem. candidate.

No wonder, that the DFA is supporting it. :grinning:

By all means, sign the petition here:
http://act.democracyforamerica.com/sign/kick_trump_out/?t=1&akid=7076.270485.jf4XB8

The southern strategy has become the world strategy.. Blaming African American for all the ill of America has changed to all Brown people. The fear of other is the Republicans way of staying in power. But it is dangerous. And it will lead to war and death. I've long said that the GOP is the party of Satan. Just look how unchristian they behave. The lies ( Satan is the prince of lies),, cheat, steal, spread false witness, ..etc. Basically they break all ten commandments. They never quote Jesus but rather they always quote the old testament. Their pastors, Huckabee, Pat Robertson, and others lives be in luxury. While the Republicans erode any social programs that helps the poor. They are for the wealthy which goes against the teachings of Christ. If you opposed Christ than your on the other side. Simple....liberal=helping others, one of Christ command

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Maybe he'll take Ben Carson with him.

Representative of most Americans, probably not, but representative of many Americans.....

"Racism, bigotry and xenophobia are a core part of America's national character,"

Racism, bigotry and xenophobia are a core part of CONSERVATIVE'S character.

I also disagree that xenophobia and racism are the default settings for many American people and that these feelings are without cause as those quoted in this article argue.

I'm with Bernie Sanders who recently spoke on this topic:

"I think you have an enormous amount of fear and uncertainty in this country and it's not just from San Bernardino or from Paris. I think what you've got are millions of people who are in trouble today. They really are; they're confused, they're working longer hours for lower wages, they're seeing productivity going up but their kids are worse off economically than they are. They're looking at a campaign finance system in politics and they see corruption, big money buying elections. Nobody in Congress is listening to them; they're out there alone. Who's listening to them? They're in trouble. They need help.

What's the cause of their problems? Is it Wall Street? Is it Big Money? Is it massive inequality in terms of wealth and income? Well no one talks about that, really. And then you have demagogues like Trump coming along and he says "I know what the cause of your problems is." Remember what a few months ago the cause was, that Mexicans were coming into this country were they criminals or rapists. Today it is Muslims. You well remember how many years ago, we were younger, it was, you know, uppity women who were trying to take our jobs as men; it was those gay people who wanted to make everyone homosexual in our school system; it was blacks who wanted to take white jobs.

That's what demagoguery is about; it is to obfuscate the real problems facing our society and find somebody you can blame and rally the American people. That's what it is, it's the immigrants or the Muslims and we gotta take them on. And I think, what my main concern is because I worry about this, it's real, you see the people standing up there and applauding. How do we get to those people? How do we say why do you keep voting for people who are giving more tax breaks to billionaires, going to send your jobs abroad, not gonna let you form a union, not gonna to allow your kids to go to college. Why do you keep voting for these guys? Because they pick out a victim, whether it's blacks, whether it's gays, whether it's women, whether it's immigrants, whether it's Muslims, who we can pick on.

What our job is, and, you know, I think hard about these things, how do we get those people to begin standing up for their own interests? And what I will tell you is the antidote to Trump is a very strong Progressive agenda that says, "Yes, I know that you're angry and you know what? you should be angry 'cause you're working longer hours for lower wages, you have a right to be bitter and you have a right to be . . .don't take it out on the Muslims, don't take it out on Latinos. Try to help us work together to create a country where your kids and you can have a decent standard of living. And it has to be a bold and radical agenda, no more same old same old and I don't mean to be political here. People are hurting and they're angry and they want something to be able to stand up and fight for. That's what I believe the antidote is to Trumpism."

--Bernie Sanders, The Rachel Maddow Show, 12/9/2015

That was 3/4 of a century ago. Germany has since become a model global citizen, while we have learned nothing and are sinking ever deeper into the pariah role

Congress can impeach Supreme Court, let having hearings to impeach a few of them especially Scalia.

Not representative of most Americans, but representative of the attitude of our present leadership and the ambiance exuded by the corporate media and the opinions of the corporate tycoons which control it.

But we, the majority are also guilty, because we have not tossed them out yet.
Now we have a rare opportunity to do that by starting with a vote for Bernie

You cannot do that in many states, unless you are a registered Democrat. Here is what you can and should do:
Go to http://voteforbernie.org/ . At “How and when to vote for Bernie Sanders (by state)” Scroll down to your state and learn, how you can get into the act of making a difference. If you are left out, you cannot help Bernie! Think about that.

The Dem. primaries start on Feb 1 in Iowa, followed by New Hampshire on Feb 9 and still in February by Nevada and South Carolina.
A big slew of 11 states hold the Dem. primaries on March 1st. Do not delay, secure your input as soon as possible and then pass this information on through the social media to all your friends who support Bernie. Leave out Hillary supporters. We have to win this one for America. The time is limited!

Trump: Another rich guy telling the shrinking middle class to blame people with even less for problems caused by the rich.

Exactly. This whole Trump buswah is a kind of phony ritual where Libs like Obama, Clinton, & Sanders can pretend to be disgusted by the verbal bigotry of Trump, all the while bombing, droning, and otherwise slaughtering Muslims by the millions, all of them pretending not to understand that it is America's racist-bigoted infrastructure which makes the whole imperialistic killing field possible.

Trump is the true face of Washington. At least he is open about his ugliness, as opposed to the others, who hide behind weasel words like 'humanitarian intervention.'

The crux of the matter is Trump being representative of the swing voters in the 8 to 12 swing states that determine the electoral college driven outcomes of US presidential elections. The electoral college has created an environment where less than 3% of US voters determine the outcomes of presidential elections.

Trump is the all time master of never running out of boogeyman du jour stories.

As California Governor Brown observed earlier this year :"Trump is very articulate and can make a story out of anything. Give him a thread and he will make you a carpet".

What is It that makes the north more generous, welcoming and hospitable than the south? You can see that in Europe, on our continent and in the US. Southern hospitality - MY FOOT!
Scroll down to the map in this article:

LOOK: Canada Welcomes the First of Thousands of Syrian Refugees

And then open up this article; http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/12/11/cn-pledges-5-million-for-syrian-refugee-resettlement.html
Excerpts:

• The Canadian National Railway has pledged $5 million to help resettle Syrian refugees coming to Canada and called on other Canadian businesses to make similar donations.
    Other organizations have pledged to help the Syrian refugees:
    • Local singing group Choir! Choir! Choir! will perform “Friday I’m in Love” by the Cure at the Toronto Christmas Market on Friday night. The Cure’s lead singer, Robert Smith, has agreed to donate the song’s licensing fees to sponsoring Syrian refugees.
    • Ikea is donating $180,000 in home furnishings to refugees, which they can receive by signing up online.
    • The head of Guelph home appliance manufacturer Danby, Jim Estill, is donating as much as $1.5 million to sponsor 50 Syrian families.

And we, who have initiated all that mess in the ME, what are we doing!!!

PS: Sorry for the big gap in the post, When I first posted the link only the pictures out of the first article showed, replacing the link and when I succeeded to post the link w/o the pics, the site left a big gap, where the photo has been.