Home | About | Donate

Farm to Neighbors: When Denouncing White Supremacy Is Deemed Brave, The Bar Is Simply Too Low

Farm to Neighbors: When Denouncing White Supremacy Is Deemed Brave, The Bar Is Simply Too Low

Sign of the sorry times: A Virginia family farm's roadside sign proclaiming "Resist White Supremacy" has caused an incongruous uproar, with some seething the message is "wrong, "divisive" and "threatens the end of our republic." Not so, patiently explains Cox Farms, which in the past has posted support for Muslims, immigrants and Black Lives Matter along with notices for their sweet corn, hay rides and baby goats. "We are white people using our privilege and power to say something that should be obvious," they note, "but clearly still needs to be said."

There should be a Cox Farms in every community, nation wide, from sea to shining sea.

True, and a Farm Sanctuary for all those little babies in the pictures.

Brilliant. I wish there were more of these signs at every farm here in Illinois. Hell, in every state.

I was about to say the same thing Ditton. If I lived anywhere close to Virginia, I promise you I
would become a regular customer!

Lovin this soul food!

Occasionally something gives me a little hope. Good on ya Cox Farms…

I’m going to make a guess that they also weren’t particularly in support of the recent Farm Bill.

Cox Farms: Come for the messages against racism and bigotry, stay for the baby goats.

Touche! We be Jahmin’ with the Cox Family!

Centerville, Virginia, (since re-spelled “Centreville” by the RE developers) was a rural crossroads on the fringe of the DC suburbs back when I lived there 45-50 years ago. My fond memory of it as a boy scout and then a teenager with a new driver’s license was, on the way out to go hiking, Centerville sat on hill that afforded my first view of my place to escape the troubles at home, the Blue Ridge/Shenandoah National Park, 70 miles away.

Now it is a bunch of ugly suburban sprawl that I did not even begin to recognize as the same place the last time I was there.

That troubled Korean kid (forgot his name) who committed the Virginia Tech Massacre was from Centerville.

Virginia in general - even the poor Nelson County foothill area where Earl Hamner - the author of the “The Walton’s” was from, has become dreadfully gentrified - wineries and B and B’s and yuppie-style fake-farms everywhere. Virginia has become the closest eastern state, culturally, to California.

Sad to hear that. The “Invasion of the Soulless Yuppies” tends to always suck out any trace of
character and/or uniqueness that existed prior to “Development”.